1975 Loadstar 1750

The workhorse

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat May 23, 2015 11:53 am

Re: 1975 Loadstar 1750

Got the email & LST Mike. It's got some pretty funky specs for sure. A lot of truck for only having a D190.

The Front axle is an IH FA-339 12K,heavy axle for Loadstars. The aux. trans is a SPICER 7231 and there are 3 variants,2 OD (7231A/B) with different ratios and 1 UD (7231D/underdrive) .

Looks like everything was painted (blue) on the exterior,even the head light bezels. :roll: Standard for them and the shell around the grille was Pewter (I think it was called). Would be an improvement over red IMO.

If you want anything else "deciphered" on the LST just ask.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue May 26, 2015 9:08 pm

This weekend was pretty good for "Big Red", all of the brakes now work. I had a couple of co-workers come over and checked out the truck. I now know how to adjust the air brakes. They said that there was still a lot of "meat" on the pads and drums, should be able to go a long time before any major work is needed. Spent most of the day cleaning and greasing the chassis. I, still got to remove some of the pump brackets and hardware. Hopfully I can get it to the repair shop this weekend to get the trans fix. I did trade up a flat bed for the truck, and design a rear hitch/bumper for the truck this weekend.
Hey Scott, Was the blue paint just a standard IHC color? How would the interor been painted?

Michael

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:26 pm

Did they point out the grease fittings for the brake S cams? The slack adjusters? I would also periodically douse the clevis pins with penetrating oil.

The LST shows the interior was painted green but not which green. Normally the interior was the same color as the exterior except the dash which was flat black.
The LST lists your truck as having "special color paint", I tried the IH paint code (6680) and didn't find it. I have an IH book page with paint codes and 6680 = DuPont code 42671 but I didn't find it anywhere either. DuPont's site is useless,mostly propaganda and no paint info that I could find. :t2102:
Tried a couple on line sites and none came up with DuPont 42671. What I got was a VW green with those numbers but another brand.
So if you need paint you'll likely have to match it or find a vendor that can do better with that DuPont code.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:35 pm

Its time for a update on Big Red, it took about two months to get the transmission rebuilt and working right. I have a rear hitch installed, just have to do the wiring and plumbing. I still have not got the bed installed. been putting that off untill I have all of the other parts installed. I am still gathering parts and have the back of the shop cleaned out whating to get started. The one thing that I am working on right now is the transmission tunnel cover. On mine the passagerner side flange is rusted out. does any one know if the flanges are the same on all of the loadstar trucks? I can get another cover off of a parts truck, if they are the same. Just dont want to spend a lot of time or money if they dont match.

Thanks
Michael

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:36 pm

According to the book there are only a couple floor panels for trucks. The models with "03" in the number are school bus chassis.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu May 05, 2016 9:52 pm

I have slowly been working on my truck. I have repaired the transmission tunnel cover, removed the brackets off of the frame behind the cab. And remounted the battery box. I have also installed a used rear hitch/bumper. I got it for half of what it would have cost me to build one like it. I am trying to install a electric brake controller in the truck. there is a double check valve/stop light switch mounted under the seat. Is this were I hook up the signal wire for the controller? the directions for the controller says to hook it to the non hot side. With no air pressure, and the truck swith to on, one wire is hot. with air built up both wires are hot. Applying the brake does not change anything. Also, my test light shows that there is power going to the turn/brake lights all the time when there is air built up in the system. If you disconnect one wire from the double check valve, then, there is no power going to the turn/brake lights, unless you flip the turn signal switch or head light switch. There is a amber light in the top center of the guage culster that is staying on. I think that I have some wiring problems. There was alot of loose wires under the dach that I have tried to remove to cleanup the cab. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the diesel trucks. The only ones I can fine are for gas.

Thanks Michael
Previous

Return to Loadstar