Loadstar 1850 brakes

The workhorse

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:33 am

Re: Loadstar 1850 brakes

Drove the truck home finally. There was a delay in getting all the parts, as this truck has 6X15 brakes, instead of the normal 5X15. The mechanic who was working on these trucks for 30+ years, said he thought it was only the second one he remembers seeing with the 6 inch brakes, and that was on a new truck they were setting up years ago, where the owner wanted it speced out as heavy duty as he could get at the time. All I can say, is it now easily skids the tires on pavement when empty, yet they still have enough 'feel' to be in complete control, even on gravel roads. I was hesitant at first to sink in the money for all this (still haven't gotten the bill) but if I traded to a newer truck, with air brakes, I could not get a twin screw diesel. At best I could get a twin screw gas burner, and more likely it would have either been a tandem with one drive axle, or something with a tag added. The advice was to fix what I've got, as the twin screw and 466DT are highly desirable features. I plan to keep a copy of the repair order on file, so that if for some reason I upgrade trucks in the next few years, I will have evidence of when new drums, pads, and wheel cylinders were added.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:11 am

Hello Jerry, could you post up some pictures of the Truck? Thanks

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:25 pm

Your mechanic obviously didn't work on many Binders, 15x6 brakes were probably the most common size used. The rear axle was a determining factor though. Actually I'd have thought yours being a tandem would have 15x7's.

Even after 25 years :o since I was behind the parts counter I can still pull a brake job from memory.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:55 pm

All I know is what the guy told me. While I have done numerous brake jobs on passenger cars, vans, and pickup trucks, I have little to no experience on the big trucks. I thought he said it was 15X6, which was an inch wider than normal, unless he meant it was an inch wider than the normal 15X6, making them 7 wide. I'm going to try to get my old drums from them next time I'm in town (make a good stand for a blue rock thrower, if nothing else) and then I can see. With my luck, the iron truck came by yesterday, LOL.
As for pictures, I'd be glad to, as soon as I figure out how to do it. I can't cut/paste one here, and I don't have any of the truck posted online anywhere, to get the URL from.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:49 pm

Jerry, do you have pictures on a computer? if so, you should be able to add them to a post using the browse feature at the bottom of the post. If you have a computer with windows on it, you can resize the pictures in "paint". Hope this helps.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:19 am

I don't see the browse feature as you described. I do have some pics on the computer I emailed to a friend who was curious what the truck looked like, and they are sized for that, but if I get what the reply wants me to do, it wants me to link it to a pic on the web.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:49 am

Jerry, below the posting screen is the "button" Upload attachment, click that, then click the browse button(that should take you to listings on your compute) find your picture and click the "open" button on the bottom of that screen, it should bring you back to the posting screen, with your pictures "location on your computer" in the little window, then click the "add the file" once that is done a screen below the posting one will show to "place inline" or delete file. If you want to add more pictures just go back to the upload attachment button and do it all over again.

Hope this helps. If not, contact me via PM and I will send you my e-mail address and you can send me the pictures and I will put them up for you.
Lloyd
Attachments
MG 054.JPG
My 76 MGMidget

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:33 am

OK, Thanks. Does this work?
IMG_20130514_112149.jpg

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:41 am

Here's a side shot. If you look, you can see my 'old' truck in the background, an old single rear axle 'binder' (of course, with different size tires, LOL). Anyway, I think I got all the good out of it, because it was losing 2nd gear for a while, and then the clutch occasionally wouldn't let go, and the last time I drove it, the brakes were acting up, as well.
I figured that was too much to invest in an old gas burner single axle, but it is kind of a shame to scrap completely, as it goes between oil changes without having to add a drop, and runs better than any IH gas anything I have ever driven. Has a 345 V-8. If I can tinker with the brakes and get them working reliably myself, I may use it to help bring in harvest. I have a field where I don't have to drive on any public roads to get to my bin, so if I have to kill the engine if the clutch lets go, at least I won't be a danger to anyone. Mostly, I want to just run it at least once a year, as my brother has a truck with a 345, and if anything goes wrong with it, he can just have my engine. The cab is beautiful inside and out (for a Binder) and there is only a little rust on the running boards. Sad, that I can't justify fixing it up anymore.
Wish I would have known about the clutch/brakes sooner, as I put new radial tires in front less than 3000 miles ago. Anyone in NE, need good 9X20 tires, LOL?
IMG_20121204_130623.jpg

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:23 am

Great looking truck! Hopefully, you can get the other one "on the road" without too much hassle and cost.
PreviousNext

Return to Loadstar