Tube-type Tire on Tubeless Rim

The workhorse

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 30, 2023 2:31 am

Tube-type Tire on Tubeless Rim

Hi,
Someone asked me and I didn't know the answer. So thought I'd ask the experts here.
Can you safely put a tube-type tire on a tubeless rim? I remember once reading about the rim bead area is a little different, but could not find that post.

And the other way around too, can you safely put a tubeless tire on a tube-type rim? But I'm sure one would need to put a tube in it with this combination.

And my own question - in trying to find the answer to the above questions, I noticed in the IH parts manual, why are there three rim measurements? For example, p/n 155-627-R92 shows "8.00, 9.00, 10.00 x 22.5 x 6.75". And p/n 155-68-R93 shows "10.00, 11.00 x 22.5 x 7.50". Does that, for example, mean tires between 8 and 10 in. wide work ok on a rim 6.75 in. wide? And tires 10-11 in. wide work ok on a rim 7.50 in. wide? What sizes are the most common?

Thank you.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 30, 2023 7:28 am

Re: Tube-type Tire on Tubeless Rim

A lot to unpack here.
Tube type tires don't have the impermeable liner on the inside of the tire that tubeless tires do, so this means air can permeate the rubber if used without a tube, also the bead area doesn't have the soft sealing edge that tubeless do.
However tube and tubeless truck tires are only the same rim size in 14" 15" and 16" light truck tires. Once you get into heavier truck tires the tubeless rim is a different diameter 20" for tube type and 22.5" for tubeless or 22" for tube type and 24.5 for tubeless. SO no, you can't use one on the others rim.
As to rim width, the tire mfg will state the design rim width and often others that are "acceptable". Acceptable rims widths are most often one size narrower or larger than the designed rim width.
11x 22.5 tire is designed for 8.25" width, but likely would be acceptable on a 7.5" or 9" rim
a 10x 20" tire is designed for a 7.5" rim but would be acceptable on a 8" width or 7". Going too wide or narrow places the sidewall out or in from the bead and the tire can "roll" the sidewalls on turns and cause excess flexing and tire failure.
When switching from tube type (20" rims) to tubeless (22.5" rims) you add 2.5" to the rim size and go up one tire size to get the same diameter and width tire, so a 10x20 is the same as a 11x 22.5 in width and diameter (and load carrying for the same ply rating). An 8.25x 20" is the same size as a 9x 22.5 tire.
My 6"x 20 rims have "max tire size 8.25x 20" stamped into the rim, so if I wanted to go to 9.00x 20's I need a 6.5" width rim.
Also the bead angle is different on tubeless and tube type rims, tubeless uses a 15 deg bead angle and tube type uses a 5 deg bead angle. On 16" rims, people have put tubeless tires on tube type rims with tubes in them successfully, Likely not recommended but I have not seen it written where you can't. On wire wheels on passenger cars, you had to use a tube and spoke flap in tubeless tires to use on a spoke wheel. (think XKE or Sunbeam with wire wheels and knock-offs).
So it is possible to put tubeless on a tube type rim and I think some military 20" tires are made to be used with or without a tube, but they must go on a bolt together rim with a sealing O ring to be used tubeless (Tubeless 20" rim) or with a tube on a normal flat-base lock ring wheel.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 30, 2023 6:24 pm

I'm confused. Well, maybe not so much. Nice detailed post CB-89
Attachments
EXPLAIN  VS UNDERSTAND.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 31, 2023 12:44 pm

Yes, I must read it several times to learn everything said. And at times I go back and must re-read old posts too. The sign of a great teacher who can pack so much information into a few words, or a poor learner. ; -) Hope someday I'll know half as much.

Return to Loadstar