Bellhousing, Just Curious Why?

The workhorse

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:58 pm

Bellhousing, Just Curious Why?

I have a trivia question why, although it really doesn't matter for my application.
I used to own a Loadstar 1600 and a '62 IH pickup truck both with 304 V8's and 4-sppeds. There is one question about the difference between these two trucks and my current Canadian manufactured '69 Loadstar 1700 with 392 V8 and 5-speed trans I've never had anyone be able to tell me.

My other trucks had a one piece bell housing between their engine and transmissions. But my Loadstar 1700 has a 2-piece bell housing bolted together. The half that directly contacts the engine is not more than a couple inches wide. My guess, but it is only a guess, is that the first piece is an adapter for a standard number truck bell housing and the other half that bolts to this and the transmission is an adapter bell housing for the IH 5-speed. Otherwise why would there be a two-piece bell housing?

Do all Loadstar 1700's and larger have this 2-piece bell housing or only those made in Canada, or perhaps its because this truck has mechanical clutch linkage and the other two trucks had hydraulic clutch linkage or, ? Just curious why.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:59 pm

Re: Bellhousing, Just Curious Why?

IHC has gone both ways as you have noted. Splitting in the middle give easier access to the clutch and flywheel. One piece is often used with a crossmember that passes under it and has rear engine mounts on the bellhousing.
I don't know what you have, but I have seen in the medium line is something that looks somewhat like an SAE housing but is not. SAE are round and have even bolt spacing, the bolt and spaceing are set by SAE stds.
The one piece housing requires the trans to be removed, then the clutch and if needed flywheel to drop out the bottom.
SAE housing makes the engine more adaptable in the industrial and heavy truck market, where they are spec'd with different transmission or output devices.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:47 pm

Thank you. :-)
It's always nice to get a truly knowledgeable reply.
Mine is split, but I don't think it's round enough to be a SAE housing.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:04 pm

I know the one on my 282 was split but not SAE. I assume that the SV was done similar. They go together in a similar fashion with a locating ring or ridge, but the similarity to SAE stops there.
I used to have a chart of SAE housings and their dimensions.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:16 pm

Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Return to Loadstar