The journey of the Loadstar rebuild

The workhorse

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:38 pm

Re: The journey of the Loadstar rebuild

Axle ratio: drop the driveshaft and look on the head of pinion (inside where the nut holds the yoke on) there will be a bunch of numbers, one set will be the tooth count for both the pinion and ring gear Divide the bigger number by the smaller for the ratio. No guessing how many turns of what.
To change from spoke to disk, the hub and brake drum needs to be changed. They will need to come from a similar axle.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:56 pm

cool
thank you.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:25 am

One other comment come to mind about wheel switch. The loadstar would have a 6 lug disk wheel. Six lug is not that common anymore and finding good rims may take some work. I doubt you will find 10 lug hubs to fit your axle. The 10 lug wheels are a lot more common.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:19 pm

cornbinder89 wrote:One other comment come to mind about wheel switch. The loadstar would have a 6 lug disk wheel. Six lug is not that common anymore and finding good rims may take some work. I doubt you will find 10 lug hubs to fit your axle. The 10 lug wheels are a lot more common.

Thanks for the replies.
Actually its a 5 lug wheel ...

Donating vehicle:

In the receiving vehicle, I was hoping to swap only the front axle to a drive axle, and convert one way or the other so both axles had the same Dayton or Budd wheels. But it turns out the other axle is stamped R 716 so I can't use it anyway. But it does have only 15k original miles, so it and its brakes are like new. Wondering if I can swap the baking plate, brakes and drums to the other rear axle. Besides being like new, the brakes look a bit wider therefore heavier duty. If I have to drill the drum out for 5 lugs, that is ok - just don't want to stray too far from safe modifications.

Unless . . . although not stock, did they ever make a 7.16 ratio R&P that would work in my front axle - an 02058 or FA-58? I believe it takes the same R&P gear parts as my rear axle, an 14025 or RA-25, and I think, an RA-30. Wish I had my parts book accessible...

But then again, the auxiliary trans I'm putting between the trans and transfer case only has a .73 over drive - would that be enough to allow freeway driving? Perhaps I would be better to stay away from the 7.16 ratios all together? I'm still in the planning stages...
Previous

Return to Loadstar