The journey of the Loadstar rebuild

The workhorse

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:53 pm

Re: The journey of the Loadstar rebuild

Steve, that "2nd pg." you posted for the LST appears to be a delivery inspection check list(?) which would have nothing to do with an LST.
If that's what it is,it's a page of the shipping papers used by the driveaway company. The only thing I see of any interest is the truck was shipped via K.A.T (Kenosha Auto Transport) on or about 9/9/65. They went under years ago. Kinda gives you an idea of when your truck was built though,new trucks didn't sit around the plant more than a few days. Still a neat thing to have for an almost 50yo truck. Have a 50th BD party for it about 9/6. lol

When I suggested a build thread I meant to have Lloyd or Jim just merge all the threads in this section for your LS into one. That is doable and would save you a lot of time and is a heck of lot easier than rewriting/typing stuff.

If this ever happened to me...
"I tell him International and then he asks me what year of Ford is that? " :t0130:
I'd turn around and walk out!
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:49 pm

1975IH200 wrote:Q. "Can someone please tell me, is the TC-155 the same transfer case as a Rockwell T-223?"

A. Yes. IH Model TC-155 or IH Code 13155 is a T-223 transfer case.

Thank you for the reply, it is appreciated.

Is there any way to know which model? There appears to be over 30 current models. See pdf file below. And when they list a model as superseding a previous model, am I correct to assume that to mean the parts will not interchange with the preceding model but only that that assembled transfer case model will work where the previous model worked?

I've only recently acquired my truck and have not got to the point of cleaning the transfer case of accumulated greasy mud. When I do, will there be a tag referencing a particular model of T-223?

Is Meritor and Spicer and Rockwell and Dana now all part of the same company? If so, is Napa Auto Stores still able to order any related part if I provide them the part number? It's been a long time since I've bought anything other than common windshield wipers, car fuses, etc. I remember there was a time when Napa could order any Spicer part, no matter how obscure or uncommon, as long as it was not discontinued.

Scottso wrote:Steve, that "2nd pg." you posted for the LST appears to be a delivery inspection check list(?) which would have nothing to do with an LST.
. . .

It came from the WHS with my LST so I thought it was just a part of the LST.
Thanks for the clarification and info. I'll let it have some premium gas on its BD. lol

Scottso wrote:. . .
If this ever happened to me...
"I tell him International and then he asks me what year of Ford is that? " :t0130:
I'd turn around and walk out!

It really did happen to me at the O'Reilly's Auto parts store near my house.
If it's not one of the big 3, the counter kids don't know anything about it.
K.A.T. - cool to know. Any idea what P.E.M. stands for?
Thanks.

Rockwell T-223 info: T-223 models and part numbers pdf
Last edited by overdriveSteve on Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:24 pm

Meritor is the new name for Rockwell (which was the new name for Detroit axle and Timken) Spicer and Dana are related to each other but not to Rockwell.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:07 pm

Steve,did you check the last page(s) of the index in Group 13? It may have a list of the IH codes and the mfr. model etc. It's in the later books,I check it often.
Best I could find is the unit SN is stamped on the top of the case,model might be there too(?).

Is this the manual you found?
http://partsmanuals.org/rockwellpartsma ... Manual.pdf

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:03 pm

Scottso wrote:Steve,did you check the last page(s) of the index in Group 13? It may have a list of the IH codes and the mfr. model etc. It's in the later books,I check it often.
Best I could find is the unit SN is stamped on the top of the case,model might be there too(?).

Is this the manual you found?
http://partsmanuals.org/rockwellpartsma ... Manual.pdf

yes, that is exactly the same manual I have listed above. I just don't know which, if any, of the 30 or so T-223 models listed on page 2 is the same as the IH TC-155 model. There is no cross-over I could find to other manufacturers' model numbers in either that Rockwell pdf or the IH parts manual. I'll probably just have to call Meritor.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:53 am

From the introduction page of the download,"This book only lists current models." The MT-112 parts book lists the TC155 with DLM parking brake code 4004 as part number 863956R91. The IH vendor cross reference parts list shows 863956R91 to be Rockwell T223H1. IH usually did not change their model designations due to minor component design changes or updates. Hence a T223H5 is still a TC155,etc. If you cannot locate an I.D. plate on the case,all of the gears and shafts have part numbers stamped into them. Early units used a 3880D810/IH865266R2 input shaft which is not even listed in the downloaded parts book. The next generation units used a 3880U931/IH298604C1 input shaft that does not show up in the download,but is now serviced as part of the MPS4121 kit,which is listed. The 863956R91 case assembly is replaced by 313723C92 case assembly. And since many design improvements could have been retrofitted during past repairs,the only sure way of getting the correct parts on a 50 year old unit,is to open it up and get the numbers. I hope that you don't need much other than bearings and seals,almost all the internal parts are still available,but this stuff is all really,really expensive. That MPS4121 kit with the "GOOD BUDDY" discount is $714.00,with a 133 day lead time on a stock order.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:25 pm

Thank you so very much, that info will be very, very helpful at the appropriate time.

But unfortunately, when it rains, it pours.

All work on my trucks has come to a temporary standstill.

a-An MRI confirms the damage to my neck from the auto accident I mention in my first posting of this build,

b-my job has cut my hours, and therefore my pay,

c-I was just given notice by my landlord that I have to move out because she is going to have her sister and family from south of the border move in,

d-and my daily driver Honda Civic has an un-diagnosed problem - it will only start if it's hot or cold. When it's warm, it won't start. For example, I can drive it to work just fine, and drive it home after work ok, or if I drive it to the gas station it will usually, usually start as it has not had time to cool down any. But go to a grocery store, for example, do some shopping, then try to start it to go home, it usually won't start. The starter will just crank and crank with no engine spark at all. I must wait between a half and 3 hours for it to get stone cold again, then it will instantly start and run with no problem.
So far the cap and rotor have been replaced, along with the igniter, and coil, and relay assembly on the wall under the glove box. All these parts are insanely expensive, and have not helped the problem at all.

So until I handle these challenges, not much more actual work will be done on either truck. I may continue to post research I do for this build, but that's about all for now. I was looking forward to getting into some of the more substantial repairs. Oh well, what a journey . . .
Here's a couple final pictures of the truck.
Thank you, everyone, for your help and advice.
Steve

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:33 pm

Yikes! Sorry to hear that, Steve. I hope things go better for you in the future. I can't help you on your car but I'm interested to know what it is when you figure it out.
'52 L-160 dump truck
'57 RD-405
'58 Allis Chalmers D grader

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:27 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your misfortunes.
My experiece says that when one electrical component and then another seems to be the problem, is to check grounds from the battery to the engine. Might even add another ground wire. Learned that the hard way once.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:13 am

That really sucks Steve! :t0117:

Hope it all works out for ya and don't be a stranger either.

Like Motel6... We'll leave the light on for ya. :lol:
PreviousNext

Return to Loadstar