Carb rebuild on 64 Loadstar 1700

The workhorse

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:51 pm

Carb rebuild on 64 Loadstar 1700

Hi, new member here. I have a 1964 Loadstar 1700 with a 345 and a Holley 2 barrel. The carb has markings on the airhorn that read 284546-C91 and also LIST-2980. I just picked up a carb kit from the local Napa for it. I have rebuilt some carbs in the past but it has been quite some time and I have never done a Holley or one with the governor components on it. My question is are there any tips or tricks I should know before I start my job? Is there anything I need to do with the governor part hanging off the side of the carb. Just trying to get any opinions before I tear into it. I will tell you why I am rebuilding the carb. Last summer I was driving the truck and it was running quite good, well it was almost out of gas so I drove it to town. I got 2 blocks from the store and ran out. I put a couple gallons of fresh gas in and poured some in carb and started it up and proceeded to store for fill up. It hasn't run good since. I thought I sucked something into line or filter so I replaced filter and blew out line. I removed line from pump and blew compressed air into tank and got gas out the line. Is there anything else I should do before I rebuild carb? I also replaced the sparkplugs and looked at the points and rest of ignition system. The truck wont idle, it has really stinky exhaust, and doesn't seem to be putting out nearly the power it did before. The truck only has 28k miles on it and is very clean. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Andy

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:57 pm

Re: Carb rebuild on 64 Loadstar 1700

Here is a few photos and the line setting ticket.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:30 pm

A few more photo's of my LS doing some work.
Here is my wife helping me out in the woods

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:15 pm

I don't think the carb. or maybe the engine is not original(?). There's no code for a governor (12750) on the LST.

The links are for carb. vendors,both have tech. info that should be useful.
http://www.carburetor-parts.com/Holley- ... _c_26.html

http://www.carburetor-parts.com/Holley- ... p_283.html

http://www.carbkitsource.com/

Googled the IH pn for the carb. you posted,found a page on it at Mike's (1st link).
http://www.carburetor-parts.com/Holley- ... p_726.html

It appears you have a Holley 2300G.

Under the video you'll see a manual for the 2300G plus other models. It's a PDF of an original Holley manual and should be just what you need.
http://www.carburetor-parts.com/2300_ep_336.html

FYI, Do not use spaces or dashes in IH pn's,if you use them like that in a web search you won't get good results (if any).
ie; you posted 284546-C91 I used "284546C91 Carburetor" in my search and got pages of results.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:29 am

Thanks for the info. I will have to look into weather or not my engine is original. Where do they put the engine id # on these? I actually got a carb kit and am going to rebuild the carb tonite. I never did any carbs with governors, is there any thing different I should do?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:32 am

No, but make note of how the springs are place under the gov diaphram and of course don't "dunk" with the gov attached.
I should add that you should take good notes or pictures of the dis-assembly so you can put it back right. The throttle is a little different then a std carb. The linkage must always be able to close the throttle but there is a clutch for opening, not a positive link. That way the gov can control while the foot is hard on the floor.
It isn't hard, just a little differnt constrution. If you take good notes or pictures it is no harder then a normal carb.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:29 pm

Well the task is complete. It went very well. I was able to fit most parts into my ultrasonic cleaner, that thing sure works good. I was amazed that after I bolted on the carb and went to start the truck it turned over like 3 times and fired right up and ran perfectly. I just don't understand how it got gas up into the carb that quickly??? It was totally dry. I let the truck warm up then set the idle for 550 and checked float level, I had to lower float a little bit. All in all it was a pretty easy carb to overhaul. The throttle linkage with the governor made me do some thinking to try and figure it out but in the end it went quite well. I changed the oil and topped off the rest of the fluids and now its on to some road tests and soon I hope to get out in the woods with it and haul some more wood. Thanks for the info, I'm sure I will be asking more questions.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri May 23, 2014 11:19 pm

That's a really nice old workhorse.
I see you hang the tailgate like I do when hauling logs. I finally figured out that a chain to hold the box from going up when hauling longer loads of logs, was a good thing to install, so I now have a hold down chain on the front that hooks onto the dump box. No more unexpected dumps when going up hills with long logs! :t0119:

Return to Loadstar