1956 Metro Disk Brakes

The Greatest Van Ever Made!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:19 am

1956 Metro Disk Brakes

I just put my 1956 Metro step van into service, as a working van, full of tools and parts... It is a model S-152, 11000 GVW, 12’ bed... I need to find information on adding disk brakes to the front. I believe that the rear end is a around a 560, I have a dodge rear end that is a 456? That looks really close to fitting... If I go faster, I need to stop it... Does anyone have pictures and part numbers for this ?

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:11 am

Re: 1956 Metro Disk Brakes

Does your S- series Metro use the 5-on-4.5" pattern? If so, check out this narrative: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=487&hilit=brakes+disc
On my former Metro I rebuild king pins, replaced springs and spring bushings and did a disc brake conversion. For the time and expense expended, I should have investigated swapping in a Crown Victoria front crossmember. This comes as a complete unit with IFS, disc brakes and rack-and-pinion steering.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:52 pm

Re: 1956 Metro Disk Brakes

The marksrv Metro is an 11,000 pound rated truck. This is about three time the weight of a Ford Crown Victoria. While the Crown Vic conversion might be an improvement, is not appropriate and may fail under a heavy load.
When designing a replacement brake system, it is important to have the correct engineering. When a cobbled together system fails the insurance company will drop the coverage and the owner will be liable for any and all costs of damage and death. Brakes are serious stuff and not something that can be safely done from some sketchy forum advice.
Try these guys for some advice and maybe parts and a system. If it can be done, these two places will have the best advice for a safe and reliable system.
Have yo looked into possibly buying a solid front disc brake axle from an older one tone truck and transplanting it into your Metro?
the bottom line is this. You will have to spend some money to have this done correctly. There is not short-cut to reliable and safe.
https://ssbrakes.com/
https://www.wilwood.com/index
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Return to Metro