Metro Year identification

The Greatest Van Ever Made!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:48 pm

Metro Year identification

Hi everybody, I'm new to this form, I recently acquired a Metro and despite searches upon searches on the internet I am having troubles identifying what year it is. The vehicle does still have the ID tag on it but there is no mention of year on the tag and from what I've read about the serial number it is tough to identify. Does anybody have A way to decode the serial number that would tell me the year of my metro? I appreciate it if you can help, I need to take it through a vehicle inspection and would like my bill of sale to reflect the correct year.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:25 am

Re: Metro Year identification

Do you have a picture of the Data tag? You will also find the Chassis number on the frame rail on the drivers side from about the steering box to the front of the rail. It will be hand stamped and probably very light, and covered with years of grime. The Chassis number should be 1/2 inch tall numbers. With the Data plate(a clear picture) Should be able to find the chassis number on it, That is the "vin". You can then check the Wisconsin Historical Society, The McCormick collection. Look for the Chassis number list.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:29 am

See next post for pictures
Last edited by scotturnot on Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:15 am

Here is the:
ID plate
Body plate
US Property plate
And a couple of the Van, She is a beauty!
Attachments
truck2.jpg
Truck1.jpg
US tag.jpg
Body plate.jpg
plate.jpg

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:22 pm

I can not find a list for 1965 I believe that according to the Military nomenclature tag, that is states 4-65 . You should be able to find the chassis number on the frame rail as described earlier. It should match the International Harvester data tag number. By the Wheel base, it is a "shorty". Did you not get a title or any paperwork with it? If not, For all intents and purposes, it is a 1965 AM122 A would be the "model" and M designates Metro 122 would indicate at least a 3/4 ton capacity depending on spring pack on the rear axle. Those Drums are virtually impossible to find. If they are too far worn(do not let someone "turn" them down, they can be just barely smoothed to work) There is a place that can re-sleeve the drums, Not cheap. Shoes can be relined with material, and if drums are a bit worn, could perhaps go with a thicker brake material. Does it turn over? What are your plans? The one I had, my plan was to put a set of 1/2 ton axles under it from a Pickup. Easier to find wheels for and such. A lot depends on what you want to do, and How much you are willing to spend. Do not get discouraged.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:28 pm

Oh, Look up the different things on this Metro area, there is a great thread on a total rebuild of one by a member. viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1355

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:25 pm

lbesq wrote:I can not find a list for 1965 I believe that according to the Military nomenclature tag, that is states 4-65 . You should be able to find the chassis number on the frame rail as described earlier. It should match the International Harvester data tag number. By the Wheel base, it is a "shorty". Did you not get a title or any paperwork with it? If not, For all intents and purposes, it is a 1965 AM122 A would be the "model" and M designates Metro 122 would indicate at least a 3/4 ton capacity depending on spring pack on the rear axle. Those Drums are virtually impossible to find. If they are too far worn(do not let someone "turn" them down, they can be just barely smoothed to work) There is a place that can re-sleeve the drums, Not cheap. Shoes can be relined with material, and if drums are a bit worn, could perhaps go with a thicker brake material. Does it turn over? What are your plans? The one I had, my plan was to put a set of 1/2 ton axles under it from a Pickup. Easier to find wheels for and such. A lot depends on what you want to do, and How much you are willing to spend. Do not get discouraged.

I did not get a title, just a bill of sale, the guy I got it from was thinking it was a fifty something but the US tag made me think mid sixty's. According to the tags on it, it was last tagged in 74 in California. The guy I bought it from got it in California 16 to 20 years ago and brought it home and put it inside storage the years he owned it. I will need to take it with a BOS to my local inspection department and they will then issue a title, not a big deal except I want to be sure what year it is. My plans are to first just get it running in present condition. The engine is not locked up (I put it in a higher gear and rocked it) so I hope it will run. The miles are 47,000 which I feel may be original based on condition and wear throughout the vehicle. It still had 3 canvas US mail bags marked 1965 in the back of it which I thought was pretty cool. I am trying to educate myself on it to learn things like what is the engine, What is the axle, what is the transmission Ect. I heard about swapping axles from a truck and would love to do that but I don't know what would fit. I would really love to put it on a modern drive train but again I need to see what is realistic to do. As far as a budget, I am all in, I want this thing alive again, I plan to use it as advertising for a little side business I am starting up. I don't want to paint it, at least not for now, It has wonderful patina and is straight with absolutely no rust past the surface. All glass is goo and its 99% complete. I am missing one interior door handle, one wiper and the speedometer glass circle is cracked. It does have keys so I intend to install a battery and see what all will function.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:55 pm

Picture of the motor, but by the HP, it is possibly a BD240. If you can find the Chassis number on the frame, and it matches the Data plate, then I think it might be in the Sixties. Someone will possibly speak up, and either confirm or deny. It does look a lot like the 50's one I had. If it has that low of miles on it, they are probably accurate. If it turns over, it will probably run. Does it have an old battery in it? If it does, is it a 6 volt or a 12 volt? If six volt, it will more than likely be a positive ground. Someone will want those Mail Bags, That is Cool! It is possible also that it could be a 50's That was sold to the military in the 60's but kinda doubt it. Again, out of my wheelhouse. As for Axles, Front is solid, correct? I have heard of someone putting the hubs from a heavy half ton on the spindles. That would require lots of measuring and finding the appropriate bearings to fit the spindles and "new" hubs with 5 bolt studs, also could look the other way to see if something from a newer brand might work and go with an 8 bolt. It is possible that a person could put something from a jeep Dana set up or early ford, Solid axle for the front. The main thing is to measure, measure, measure. Oh, and lots of money and patience. I hope you got it for a good price, years ago I paid a $1000 for mine without a title. Regret letting it go.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:20 pm

lbesq wrote:Picture of the motor, but by the HP, it is possibly a BD240. If you can find the Chassis number on the frame, and it matches the Data plate, then I think it might be in the Sixties. Someone will possibly speak up, and either confirm or deny. It does look a lot like the 50's one I had. If it has that low of miles on it, they are probably accurate. If it turns over, it will probably run. Does it have an old battery in it? If it does, is it a 6 volt or a 12 volt? If six volt, it will more than likely be a positive ground. Someone will want those Mail Bags, That is Cool! It is possible also that it could be a 50's That was sold to the military in the 60's but kinda doubt it. Again, out of my wheelhouse. As for Axles, Front is solid, correct? I have heard of someone putting the hubs from a heavy half ton on the spindles. That would require lots of measuring and finding the appropriate bearings to fit the spindles and "new" hubs with 5 bolt studs, also could look the other way to see if something from a newer brand might work and go with an 8 bolt. It is possible that a person could put something from a jeep Dana set up or early ford, Solid axle for the front. The main thing is to measure, measure, measure. Oh, and lots of money and patience. I hope you got it for a good price, years ago I paid a $1000 for mine without a title. Regret letting it go.

I will try to find the frame number this weekend. It appears somebody put a 12-volt system on it already. I had read somewhere that you can put axles out of a half ton truck in it, just not sure. Going to have to do a bunch of research. Regarding what I bought it for, I really think I stole it. Getting a title here in Kansas on and antique is no big deal. I'm going to try and hook a battery up to it this weekend and see if it will crank over, it does have the keys in the ignition so who knows?

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:36 pm

Just in case they did not fix the gauges for 12 volts, perhaps unhook them?
Next

Return to Metro