which engine could it be?

The Greatest Van Ever Made!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:04 am

which engine could it be?

Howdy:
After spending too much time in my old books and on the internet, I decided to go to the experts!
I was recently contacted by a restoration shop. They have a 1958 Metro van. It has an OHV 6 in it.
That is all that they know.
SD220? BD220? BD240?
What would the most likely engine be?
I know that the above is little better than no information, but any idea as to the most likely engine?
We recently did a SD220 that was an incredibly expensive rebuild. I need to work up a rough estimate for the old van.

Thanx in advance
Paul H.
aka Studeaggie

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:25 am

Re: which engine could it be?

Check with them to see if they have any data plates on that Metro. Hopefully the main one is there, it will tell you if it is. My guess, is a 240. Others with much more knowledge will speak up. Hopefully you can get the data plate info.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:23 pm

The engine number stamped on the block will tell, but it really doesn't matter, the 220, 240, 264 are all the same family and will cost about the same to repair.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:31 pm

IF it's the original engine, in a 1958, it should be either a BD220 or BD240. The Black Diamonds came in with the "A" series, although I'd bet that's not an iron-fast rule either. I'd bet a BD240.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:11 am

Are you the Packard guy?
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:59 am

Howdy:
I am actually a Studebaker nut.
Fortunately,or sadly, depending upon your point of view, or my point of view, or the customers point of view, I probably know WAY too much about engines that should have been melted down into frying pans years, if not decades ago.
We have two Packard engines in the shop now. :t3717:
Many thanks for the help.
No engine number yet, they have not scraped almost 60 years of oil leaks off of the engine. I was told that it was on the road less than ten years ago.
Where might the data dag be located?

Thanks again,
Paul H.
aka Studeaggie
Vilas Motor Works, Bryan Texas

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:14 am

If I remember, the engine information should be stamped into the block on a raised and milled flat surface just above the generator.
A Cummins 4bta will fit in the same space the original lackluster lump mounts. The 4bta is the same weight and 4 times more powerful.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:28 pm

I'm just finishing dropping an Isuzu 4bd into mine, should be on the road next week... but I have a complete running engine should you need parts, or desire more frying pans... speaking of pans, the oil pan is probably stamped 220 but from what I remember, that same pan was used on the 240 so it's not really useful.
I'm sure someone will suggest you submit the vin to the Wisconsin historical society folks to try and get the original line setting ticket. Alas, both times I tried this they couldn't help. Others have had better luck.
From my experience, it's the gear ratio in the back that is key to making these wonderful vans roll along.... even with a sweet running engine, I had trouble getting past 45 mph.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:32 am

129_2949a.JPG

Return to Metro