Diagnosing Stalling Issue

The Greatest Van Ever Made!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:42 am

Diagnosing Stalling Issue

Hi guys,
With the weather warming up in the NE I am finally spending some time with my Metro I picked up about a month ago. Yesterday I got the electric fuel pump working properly (it was clogged), installed a filter before it, cleaned out the carb, and now it's up and running fine. My next issue is that as soon as I let the clutch out with the car in gear, it stalls. It gives a tiny bit of power to the wheels and as soon as it tries to move forward it dies. My question is, where should I start looking? Vacuum leaks? Electrical? Fuel delivery seems to be fine. Are there any common culprits for this issue?
Thanks!
-Mike
P.S. emergency brake is off, it is on flat land, and I am giving it enough gas.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:34 am

Re: Diagnosing Stalling Issue

Check oil in transmission, it could be so solidified that it will not allow the gears to turn? Just a thought, others will probably have better ideas.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:19 am

Did you say what kind of carb?
Carbs have seven systems or circuits...
Choke, main metering, idle metering, accel pump, power valve, transitional metering and float circuit.
(From memory).
That's a lot to get right
I think you're a little lean, somewhere...:)
Over-the-road gasoline-powered carbureted vehicles have the most complicated carbs of all. Airplanes, ships, stationary engines all have fewer demands on the carb, and therefore fewer metering circuits or systems that need to function.
Think about it, our old trucks have to accel, decel, warm up, climb hills, pass cars, and suddenly shut off fuel to idle.
A LOT is going on.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:47 am

When you left the clutch out the engine will be torqued to one side. This may be breaking the ground or power Electric connection. Try reverse to make the engine torque the other way to see if the engine stops.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:51 pm

These were excellent suggestions... thank you guys very much. I'm a bit embarrassed (but not too proud) to admit it was user error. I have another truck with a 3 speed on the column (an early Ford Bronco), and the travel of the shifter is way less. So, I was trying to start the Metro in 3rd gear, thinking I was in 1st. I can't believe I did that...

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:47 pm

Always the simplest things that sometimes trips us up for awhile. Glad you got it figured out. Now on to the next issue.

Return to Metro