Questions about adjusting valve lash

The Greatest Van Ever Made!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:13 am

Questions about adjusting valve lash

Is there a procceedure for adjusting the valve lash on SD220? The clearance is easy to find .018 to .020. What I'm hoping to find is the procedure for knowing that you are on the lowest point of the camshaft lobe to adjust the valve, for example, put number one on top dead center and adjust certain valves then put number six on top dead center and adjust the other valves . Or should I start from front to back roll the engine over till number one intake valve is open and adjust the exhaust valve and so on and so forth? I remember using a similar procedure in the past on other engines but I cannot find anything on international SD220.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:22 am

Re: Questions about adjusting valve lash

If you are in doubt which valves you can do when then just follow the firing order. 153624.
When the compression blows your finger out of the sparkplug hole you are THERE on that cylinder, ONLY. Ready to adjust. Use a flashlight to see where the piston is in the travel. It has to be nearing the top to blow your finger out of the hole.
Yes, I've seen instructions where on some engines you can adjust other cylinder's valves besides the one that's on TDC.
Nothing wrong with being conservative, though. Just adjust those valves that are closed at TDC cylinder by cylinder. 153624. That firing order is the same for all straight six, BTW.
Remember there are TWO TDCs for each cylinder. One for exhaust and one for compression. You want to adjust on compression stroke.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:17 pm

It always seemed to me that adjusting one cylinder's valves at a time, at TDC, was the most accurate, but here's the alternative.
n_IHC%206%20cyl%20engine%20manual%20015.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:53 pm

I advise doing it the conservative one cylinder at a time way.
Unless you adjust valves every day...it's easy to get intakes and exhaust valves mixed up. Or even what cylinder you're on.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:24 pm

Thank you for the help Gentlemen

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:47 pm

This looks to be the same as Paul posted.
Attachments
valve setting.jpg
1956 S-102 Short Bed BD240

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:02 pm

Using a dial gauge to set valve lash.
What to do!
1. Get the cam in the correct position to adjust the valve.
2. Set dial indicator vertical to the valve stem.
3. Place the rod of the dial onto the rocker as close to the adjustment screw as possible.
4. Preload the dial for accuracy.
5. Adjust the screw so that when you move the rocker up and down the dial indicator shows movement. Tighten down lock nut to spec and retest.
You want to get the rod of the indicator as vertical as possible in relation to the movement of the rocker arm.
If the rod touches the rocker arm at the valve end of the rocker, then when the valve is closed, the difference in pushing in and pulling out the rocker will be the clearance or movement of the indicator.
I prefer this method to a feeler gauge on old engines that may have uneven wear on the rocker and or the valve stem. If there is uneven wear on the valve to rocker surfaces a feeler gauge is not going to be accurate because the clearance will be across the high points and cannot measure the total distance to full contact.
A good enough dial gauge should be available at your local nothing from the USA store for about $20 with a good enough mag base.
This method is very accurate.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:58 pm

just a tip, don't adjust too tight! these engines are supposed to have noise at the valve train, guy who aren't used to this tend to adjust too tight because there is valve clatter, and end up burning valves,

manual says to adjust when hot, as in totally warmed up to operating temp,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:09 pm

Adjust the valves using the hot engine method. When the engine has returned to cold use the dial gauge to measure again. Make a note of the cold measurements and next time you should be able To do a cold engine valve adjustment with these new numbers.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Return to Metro