Metro leaf springs interchangeable??

The Greatest Van Ever Made!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:37 pm

Metro leaf springs interchangeable??

I found a pretty decent metro van recently. the body is pretty nice, the problem is that on top of not having an engine/trans, it's also missing the front leaf springs. The frame is just sitting on the axle up front. Leaf springs are long gone. Makes it fairly difficult to trailer 300 miles home without the axle attached. Plus it's located in an area that it will need to be able to be towed and roll to be able to get on my trailer.

Does anyone know if there is a set of springs from maybe a truck that would swap in or are those springs unique to the metro only?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:31 pm

Re: Metro leaf springs interchangeable??

Are you able to put two 6"X6" beams over the axle and against the frame? I wonder if a pair of those X-lift air bags might help you out.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:58 pm

frame should be the same as the Pickup of that era. My 50 metro was the same frame, just heavier axles and the metro body as my 50 L 112. I like nikki's answer. If you can fasten the axle to the frame and you still have steering attached, you should be able to pull onto a trailer, No Dolly! For that, you need proper suspension.

My opinion only

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:48 pm

I had thought about just fastening the axle to the frame with 4x4's, the problem is the van will need to be towed close to a mile through hilly, rocky desert terrain to be able to load it on my trailer. I have another metro I was thinking of having the leafs de-arched anyway so maybe when that time comes I will use it's springs to move the desert metro before dropping them off.
Last edited by g-force on Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:55 pm

Some useable parts that I can see. If price is right, could be a parts storage for a time.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:18 pm

I try and rescue metros from the crusher whenever I can. The grill is also inside that van. I'm thinking I could probably bring it home for not too much, but the cost of fuel to get there and back with it would be a couple hundred $$. 6 hour drive each way, but a really cool scenic place to visit and camp out.
Last edited by g-force on Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:05 am

I wish I had this opportunity. How is the rust situation? I really like the METRO. Are you able to say where this METRO is located, approximately?
I am still thinking that some 6x6 0r 8x8 beam spacers sandwiched between the frame and axles with some chain and tensioners might work. I am not there, so this is only a best guess.
Who ever gets to steer will get a good shaking.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:24 am

The van in question is also FULL of international parts. I found this and another metro in a very secluded desert area on the west coast. The owner of the 5000+ acre ranch has quite literally dozens of old IHC trucks from early 40's into the early 60's. Rare stuff too. Fire trucks, COEs, KB,L,R,S,A,B travelall, you name it he's got it scattered about his land. His father had an IH dealership apparently and when ever a vehicle died on the farm they just parked it. You guys would flip if you saw this place. I can't disclose where it is out of respect for the owner, but next time I go I plan on taking plenty of pictures. Here's a cool picture I took last Friday when I pulled a '55 Metro camper custom home.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:56 am

It will pretty much depend on the model number on what front springs might work. It has single rear wheels so is either a 120 or 130 chassis. L,R & S 100-120 trucks have the same mounting hardware for the F & R of the springs,on the 130 the rear is different. So at least the springs are the same width. For what you need to do it's reasonable you can make it work regardless.
If it's an AM ('57-1/2 - '65) I can't say,nothing matches in the book number wise with the earlier models, though the set-up is very similar.

Now if you had a friend in the ANG they could use it to practice heavy lifting with a chopper. :lol: A good pilot could set it down right on the trailer.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:04 am

It's a 1952 L-120
Next

Return to Metro