my metro daily driver

The Greatest Van Ever Made!

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:00 pm

Re: my metro daily driver

Hi Scott -
Fascinating links to those web sites.
I'm curious about the 4.11 gearing. Unfortunately, the Wisconsin historical society could not track down my line setting ticket. So, for now, its just guess work as to which ratio I currently have.
But my metro seems to only be comfortable at around 40mph, and I haven't dared push it beyond 45mph. I start in 2nd gear, because first is soooo low. I am hoping to get a set up that allows me to cruise at around 50mph. That would be plenty good enough for the small secondary roads Im on and I would consider it a worthwhile upgrade.
do you think the 4.11 would accomplish this? I have found a gear set through Neals auto parts that I am considering buying...

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:42 pm

See if the end of the pinion (where the nut threads on) is visible enough to read any numbers that could be stamped there. There should be a tooth count, ie; 41 - 10 then just divide the pinion "10" into the ring gear "41" for the ratio.

Did you try this calculator?
http://www.csgnetwork.com/gearratcalc.html
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

AZD

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:03 pm

Scottso, just out of curiosity do you know what the code numbers for the 5.13 would be?

If this thing has the four cylinder and it is a 3/4 ton model, it seems there is a chance it could have the really low ratio. Maybe? Not sure what RPM he's getting at 40-45 mph, but that seems pretty low to top out with tires that are around 30-31 inches. Just thinking out loud...

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:25 am

Don't understand what you mean by the code numbers AZD. If you mean rear axle code,they don't change with each ratio. The only RA it would have new is the RA-10.

This truck has either a BD220 (std.) or BD240 according to the sales spec. sheet in the link I posted on the 1st pg.
It also lists max HP 112.5 @ 3800RPM

AZD

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:35 pm

Sorry for the mix up. I saw the one on the first page and it had the 4 cylinder. Had to look down farther for the 3/4.

I guess what I meant was the numbers on the 5.13 pinion. Doing the math would give the answer as to what you have in front of you, but if I were looking for a 5.13 and had to say on the phone "I'll have such-and-such stamped on the end," what would that be? Not really important, but I kind of wonder these things so I know them when I see them.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:46 am

I found the answer in the MT-63 L series book,it lists the pn that is stamped on the ring gear & pinion,unlike the K series book though it doesn't show the tooth count as well. Still a bit better than later books which only list set pn's and even later that have set pn & tooth count.

Here's all of them...
4.11 = 107250R1 Pinion / 65687R1 Gear
4.77 = 107251R1 Pinion / 69417R1 Gear 43-9
5.13 = 107252R1 Pinion / 65692R1 Gear 41-8
41-8 = 5.125, rounded = 5.13
Found the tooth count messing with that calculator.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:58 am

Scott I did the gear ratio calculator and came up with between 4.3-4.6 to achieve 50mph with 30 or 31" diameter wheels.

Then I stumbled on this in the parts for sale section:

"Dana 60-35 spline rear with big 6 bolt pattern, posi carrier with 4.10 gear, this carrier will except 3.55 gear, I did this on my 57 S-120-4X4. Brakes and wheel bearings are interchangeable with the RA-10 rears. 50s 3/4 tons."

Looks like it has the gearing I want and the same bolt pattern. The owner (helpful, nice guy) said I would probably need to cut/weld different perches and swap my good brakes onto this axle.

Any other considerations? Is a 50s RA 10 axle the same as my 1960?
The cost for this assembly would be the same as me just buying a NOS 4.10 gear set so its not really the money, just which is a better/easier upgrade?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:02 pm

Same bolt pattern? Isn't yours currently 5 x 4.5? Going with the D60 would mean different F & R wheels. A bit of a hassle but if it's OK with you...

The RA-10 from the 50's are the same as the early 60's as far as I know.

In the long run the D60 would be a better choice in the parts availability aspect,there's probably 10 times more of them out there than the RA-10.Plus because of that, changing the ratio would likely be much easier if needed/wanted.
It's rated at 6000lb GAWR so unless you do something really bad to it,it's more than enough axle. Another plus is if at some point you repower you'll have a rear that can handle even a small diesel.

Spring perches are easy to get.
Here's 1 vendor;
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/cat ... iwrap.html
Measure your spring width.

With the right info I (or a drive shaft shop) can probably come up with a U-Joint so the only thing that will likely be needed is having the shaft shortened using the original weld yoke. That would be up to you,find a good Drive shaft shop and ask their advise too.

The pinion angle will have to be set so you'll need one of these (if you don't already have one);
https://www.google.com/search?q=angle+f ... gle+finder
Handy to have,lot's of uses.

The way I'd do it is,take a reading of the current rear angle (plus a photo of the dial) for reference.
Home Depot,Lowes,Sears all have them.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:00 pm

photo[1].JPG
I have 17.5 wheels on a six bolt pattern. I assume that's the "big six" referred to?
What you said about parts availability is starting to sway me - especially if the wheels/brakes can all stay as is...
The seller said that there was 65" of wheel to wheel mating surface. Can I use that number to confirm compatability?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:51 pm

It didn't click that 17.5's would be 6 holes. I've got a lot going on here,all I need is a counter and a phone against my ear and it would be like old times! lol
I can't really look but I do doubt IH used more than one 6 hole pattern,IH manuals don't list that.

" 65" of wheel to wheel mating surface"
I have no idea what he's talking about,the track maybe?

Any idea what the D60 is out of? Might also tell what the brakes on it are(?).

Here's a search I did
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=d60+axle+width

Found this;
http://www2.dana.com/pdf/60DIMSPEC-812.pdf

What I called the track Dana calls Tread,it's center to center of the tires.
PreviousNext

Return to Metro