my metro daily driver

The Greatest Van Ever Made!

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:50 am

Re: my metro daily driver

DSCI0729[1].JPG
DSCI0728[1].JPG

So here is that axle, that came off a late 50s IHC truck.
Again, I know nothing about this, so this post is just my last bit of due diligence before grabbing it, shipping it and bribing friends to help me install it..
Scott, not sure if you can tell what kind of brakes are on here? Or if you spot anything else, besides what has already been mentioned, that might be an issue for swapping?
Attachments
DSCI0732[1].JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:33 pm

Can't tell a thing about the brakes from a pic. Being it's a D60 I'm sure they're adequate for the truck,may even be the same size or bigger(?).

I see (I think) there's a yoke on it? Wish I could see it better though.
I did some digging and you're very likely going to need at least the correct weld yoke on the shaft.The drive shaft will probably need shortening anyway.
To get a better idea on that,what type of U-joint is presently on the DS at the axle?
This type?

Or this type?

If it's the 2nd type you may luck out and it will be the same size/series as the yoke on the D60. Not saying it is but there's a chance.

I have pn's for a yoke if needed & the UJ. Also the UJ u-bolts.

It also might be a good idea to put a new pinion seal in while it's real easy to get to.
I have the numbers...
912713R91 IH
18888 SKF
6808N Timken/National
http://www.fme-cat.com/overlays/part-de ... brandId=NW

6808N Timken
http://www.amazon.com/Timken-6808N-Seal/dp/B000BZ5040

Nat'l
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2615676882 ... =82&chn=ps

Here's the SKF
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1836282
Put cursor on pic for close up.

Great price,$14 less than Napa (what a surprise!).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CR-18888-OIL-SE ... 1313834737

I think the Timken seal is a better design and the one I'd use but, that's my preference.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:45 am

The rear Dana 60 came out of a mid 60s 3/4 ton IH
The brakes and wheel bearings are interchangeable.
Same rear in my S120-4X4, wheel seals are different.
IH made the same drums from 50 to 68, correct me on that if needed.
The 60 is stronger than the RA-10, IMO

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:06 am

markusg wrote:
photo[1].JPG
I have 17.5 wheels on a six bolt pattern. I assume that's the "big six" referred to?
What you said about parts availability is starting to sway me - especially if the wheels/brakes can all stay as is...
The seller said that there was 65" of wheel to wheel mating surface. Can I use that number to confirm compatability?

Are you running radial tires? I thought it should have came with split rims.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:13 pm

tires are 8-17.5LT tubeless
brand is Monarch
No "R" anywhere so I assume they are bias ply?
Definetly not split rim.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:43 pm

Been about a month,any progress?

Btw, Don't know if you're in the market for one (or have already) but I was searching fleabay for parts manuals and found the one for yours;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/International-T ... 257a591d4c
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:13 pm

Sorry Scott I just saw this!??
The axle swap went very smoothly. The spring perches and everything else was a direct match. No modifications of any kind needed. The only real pain was getting the pinion seal out to replace. Put in some brake drum kits and was back on the road in the afternoon. Much better gearing around town. There is a definite improvement in my speed that tops out now closer to 50 mph... I feel like less of an embarrassment on the secondary roads but no way would I venture onto a highway.
The van was stored for the winter but started right up this week and off to the lumber store we went.
Filled it with 2x4s and a few people came over to say how neat that the van was still being used as a van!
I go back and forth wondering about a diesel swap. If money wasn't an option then it would probably already be done. It just seems that this van would be best used as both a work truck and an occasional long distance road trip camper with a mattress in the back.. Anyway, my 6 year old loves the van as much as I do. It's the only vehicle we go get ice cream in.
And again, I am so sorry for not seeing this long ago. I follow the forum closely but somehow this slipped by.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:04 pm

I thought I would share my metro project, after having posted a few questions and followed this thread for a while.
This is a 1960 metro am120 that I bought last year in Oregon and brought back to BC. I had it stripped bare and painted by a retired body man over the winter (quite a few dents to pull but thankfully no rust issues) while I tinkered with the motor. It just passed the BC out of country mechanical inspection so is now on the road...
I toyed with covering up the side window but in the end, I kinda like the added light and don't mind the look.
I was also fortunate enough to find a strong running spare motor/tranny and axles in Montana from another metro owner who was hot rodding his. So Ive got lots of spare parts and I've already swapped a tie rod end, the carb and the parking brake assembly to make mine a bit sweeter.
So, the only issue I have (other then downloading pictures!!) is changing the gear ratio to squeeze a bit more speed out of her. I'm considering a rear axle swap with an early 80s suburban - but Im curious if anyone has done anything else? Is it possible to leave the rear diff intact and just change out gears? add an overdrive?
A big thank you to everyone who contributes to these forums. I don't think I would have taken this project on without knowing that this community exists.
Markus[/quote]
Previous

Return to Metro