Resurrecting Mom's 1969 IH M800 POSTOFFICE Van

The Greatest Van Ever Made!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:59 pm

Re: Resurrecting Mom's 1969 IH M800 POSTOFFICE Van

Did you try getting the LST??? It would be very helpful right now.
I could probably use other IH parts manuals and give you the correct brake parts you may need first of all.
It would also help knowing exactly what transmission it is. IH used Borg-Warner AT's in that period but I find about 5 different ones listed by the codes found on LST's.

I looked at a couple and a good place to start is checking out the linkage. The shift lever may move but,is the linkage?

Here are 2 examples of what you'll probably see.

All kinds of things can be wrong there. Could be as simple as a missing clip or cotter pin,broken spring...
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:51 pm

I did get the LST you posted a link to. I'll take a look. I don't quite know how to use it yet, but I will try to find exactly which tranny it is, and will check linkages (doh!). Thank you.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:11 am

If you do not mind, you could post a picture/copy of your LST, or send a copy to Scottso via email. It is always kinda fun to see what IH did with different vehicles in the same year. Just my thoughts.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:25 pm

My confusion, it was the parts manual I ordered (and have received). The LST I finally just realized the criticality of, and so I have made the inquiry to Wisconsin Historical Society and will gladly scan and post the LST if/when I receive it.

---

The plates in the vehicle show:

Make & Model: Dyna Truck M-800P-79799
Purchase Order: 9-2-00076

Model: M800P
Serial: 840451L037645
Wheelbase: 102
Cert Net HP: 131.5 @ 4000 RPM
Cert Gr. HP: 145 @ 4300 RPM
Max GVW: 5,500 Lbs.

---

At the moment I get only so far in the MT117 parts manual regarding brake wheel cylinders, all four of which I should probably replace. The parts manual shows M800 but not M800P. For the M800, there are different CODE choices (4103 or 4106 for front wheel brakes, more choices for rear wheels). "Paul's IH Pages" doesn't seem to include these particular codes. So it is a LST I must have!

The plot thickens....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:15 pm

Yes,the LST can be essential more times than not,which is why I stress getting a copy if possible.

The "P" stands for Post Office and you can disregard it unless it is noted.

I looked in another series manual and found the front codes. Since codes are component specific and not model/series specific...
04103 = 11x2 brakes
04106 = 12x2 brakes

So if you have things apart you can measure the ID of the drum to figure it out.
For the rear I'd need the codes listed in the 117 book (or a scan of it).

If the Chassis number is required at any time this is it;
L037645

By the engine ratings it appears to be a 232 6cyl (?). That's an AMC engine. IH ended building small 6's after the '68 model year.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:30 pm

Update on progress.
The rear brake problem appears to be a plugged supply line. I cracked the inbound fitting to the junction block on the frame where the flex hose to the differential housing attaches. Good flow, clean fluid. But NOTHING to the rear wheel cylinders. So flex hose, j-block, and/or lateral supply lines to rear wheels must be plugged.

The transmission DOES work well enough at least to turn rear axle fore and aft. Don't know whether it will go through all its forward gears out on the road, but nothing to indicate otherwise at this point.

I'd say I've had remarkably good luck so far getting the old girl going again. Before long I can imagine only a pressure wash will stand between her and hauling the mail once again.

This one's for you, Mom! For anyone who might be interested in learning who she was, google "Gertrude Rempfer" on the web. Hands down, she was the best friend I ever had.

Dick

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:11 pm

My shop is at the top of a hill at a 15%+ grade in places. The M800P made it down and back up just now!

The carb's not great externally. The choke linkage is sticky and at first glance doesn't make any sense the way its assembled. The plastic plunger to the accelerator pump is completely inoperative since the linkage to it appears to be malformed and doesn't raise/lower the cam as the throttle opens/closes. I have a carb kit I purchased. I'll see what parts it may contain and I expect I could fabricate the throttle to accelerator pump cam linkage out of some very stiff wire.

Having not heard back from LST (Wisconsin History) place, I don't know which automatic transmission I have, but no doubt I should change its fluid and filter(s).

Since the engine appears to be a 232 CI AMC 6 I wonder if someone could tell me where ignition timing should be set and what plug & point gaps should be.

Since brakes are good now, how do I turn off the dash's brake fault light? Is it triggered as I'm assuming by imbalance in front & rear brake systems, or is it just a simple emergency brake's on warning?

Thanks as always for all your help. Very significant progress made so far.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:21 pm

You can find an IH engine service manual that will give you the info you need here;
https://app.box.com/shared/otkihx6yoa/1/37788558

There is no proportioning valve with all drum brakes,hence no switch etc. So I'm not sure what the brake light is for,could be the PB,take a look thru Group 4 in your parts book. The brake light switch should be on the MC,not sure if it's also wired to a warning light though. Unplug/disconnect it and see if the light goes out,if it does the switch is probably bad.

You should have mentioned needing a carb. kit,we happen to have a member who's an expert. Carbking (Jon).
Here's a link to his site;
http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/

I'd say a fluid & filter will do that tranny good,sitting so long can't be good for either.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:46 pm

Found a parts manual just for this model.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/International-H ... 1c47b9afde

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:27 am

Thanks! I just purchased it. I have Holley 1920 carb still to fix (need some external parts, e.g. accelerator pump linkage) and a doughnut for the exhaust manifold to header pipe. Then a thorough power wash should have this rig back in business! I sure appreciate everyone's help.

The microfiched LST for this vehicle I obtained from the Wisconsin Historical Society was so blurry it is pretty much illegible. The society didn't charge me for it because of this. I haven't posted it here, thinking there'd be no point in so doing.
PreviousNext

Return to Metro