Resurrecting Mom's 1969 IH M800 POSTOFFICE Van

The Greatest Van Ever Made!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun May 24, 2015 1:30 pm

Resurrecting Mom's 1969 IH M800 POSTOFFICE Van

The right-hand drive post office truck sat for 20+ years under an awning in the rainy Pacific Northwest. Pretty much all electrical connections were corroded, but I have them cleaned up, points/condensor/coil replaced, and I ran the engine (supplying fuel to the pump from a nearby can) until it warmed up and I could feel the thermostat open. I noted that the temperature gauge did not rise off the cold mark, so I may need the gauge or sending unit, or may just have to clean up another corroded contact. So far so good.

My current challenge: While the gas gauge DOES work (tested manually), the gas level sending unit does not. Its part number is 145638-R91 and it's in pretty rough shape. I wonder if a repair kit, an aftermarket substitute or a complete OEM replacement unit might be available? Suggestions would sure be welcome.

Finally, since my vehicle doesn't fit into any of the existing vehicle categories I'm waiting to hear back from a moderator as to where (if on this board at all) I could post further questions about this project.

Many thanks,

Dick Rempfer
Elma Washington USA

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 24, 2015 1:59 pm

Re: Resurrecting Mom's 1969 IH M800 POSTOFFICE Van

Welcome to the site, Dick!
I'm sure we can find a place for you. That part number only comes up in a search as a cross to an NSN number, so there may or may not be any available. Here are a couple of threads which may be helpful-

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4997&p=37419

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=407&p=2016

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 24, 2015 3:54 pm

"M" = METRO so that's the section to use.

The thing with that sender is it has 6 mounting holes and the vast majority of senders today have 5.
I recognized the pn right away,just looked for it within the past 2-3 months and they don't seem to exist. The pn hits with Google with most links the aviation/military vendors,so you might send a quote request,most are free.

Here's a search hint... when using Google etc. and IH part numbers do not use spaces or dashes and if known what IH called the part.
For the pn you posted;
145638R91 Gauge

The links Dean posted may give insight but the gauges are totally different from a K/KB. If round & individual they're probably Stewart-Warner.

1) Did you check the senders resistance?
The IH sending units are rated at 10 ohms when full to 73 when empty. +/- 10% is acceptable.
2) Is the tank well grounded?

Your sender can likely be repaired as well.
Sender rebuilders;
http://tristarrradiator.com/index.html

http://www.bobsspeedometer.com/1/120/services.asp

You might also want to search for the IH parts manual MT-117 which covers all Metros of the period. Binder Books does not have it so try Google.
Many parts other than the body are very likely the same as used on other models and I have found using IH pn's to start with gets better results. Most aftermarket parts web sites don't list Metro's anymore since the last true ones were discontinued 40 years ago.

May have found one...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/International-H ... 7817&rt=nc

A copy of the Line Setting Ticket would also be a big help. Know what the components are is very useful and removes guessing.
For instance, say you need king pins,the LST shows the truck has an FA-10, I can go to a number of other parts manuals and find the pn for the KP kit.

Here's some info links about "LST's";
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1374&p=8229&hilit=line+setting+ticket#p8229

http://ih.wargenstahm.se/LST/LST.html

http://ih.wargenstahm.se/LST/Intro.html

Good discussion here;
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3240
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun May 24, 2015 7:04 pm

Perhaps the moderator would be so kind as to move this thread to the M - Metro section? I now know that's where it belongs.

Also, thank you all for the great responses.

The fuel level situation is probably solved:
I worked the fuel level sending unit up and down through its range with an ohmmeter attached and it began to respond properly. My guess is that the contact surfaces were dirty, and sweeping back and forth across them cleaned things up. I do need a float for this unit and have ordered one from a seller on eBay.

Brakes and transmission status still to be determined:
The master cylinder is rusted/frozen solid. I ordered a rebuilt unit from NAPA and should have it installed within a couple of weeks. I hope the wheel cylinders are in better shape than this master cylinder.

This vehicle has an automatic transmission. Its fluid level was correct when it was parked 20-some years ago and still is today. I hope the seals will not have dried out and that all the moving parts will still work freely.

Beyond this:
Several hours with the pressure washer to push back Mother Nature's reclamation attempts by removing algae, moss, etc. There's some surface rust on the roof but the van is otherwise amazingly solid. Whomever eventually takes this vehicle over might want to replace the springs since gravity's been 'ON' for pretty much all of the past 45 years and it shows in the springs.

You guys are the best!

Best regards,

Dick

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 24, 2015 7:33 pm

You say, "whomever ". Does this hint at the possibility that this Metro might be for sale in the near future?
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun May 24, 2015 9:30 pm

Pictures or it never happened! LOL We do love pictures, we do not even care if the vehicle is Au-natural. Will move this to the Metro area!.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue May 26, 2015 12:41 am

nikkinutshop wrote:You say, "whomever ". Does this hint at the possibility that this Metro might be for sale in the near future?

Yes, I guess it does. I want to make it driveable before I decide tho. I was going to attach a few "before" pictures, as requested, but each pic's size is around 800K and that seems to exceed a 500K limit here on the board. Any help as to how to upload pictures would be appreciated.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue May 26, 2015 1:23 am

Take your pictures, if they are on your computer and import them to "paint" Then resize them about 40%, re-save them with a slightly different designation. This is perhaps a better explanation:
https://oldihc.wordpress.com/2013/01/01 ... -forums-2/
There are also a couple of different photo sharing sites that automatically resize for forums. I do not remember which ones they are. Hope this helps some.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue May 26, 2015 1:47 am

P1010026_mini.JPG
Cargo Area Showing Lift Gate
P1010025_mini.JPG
Driver's Compartment
P1010020_mini.JPG
Left (Passenger) Side
P1010021_mini (1).JPG
Left Front View

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:40 pm

Just to update, I got the gas tank cleaned out, unplugged the line from the tank to the fuel pump, and the engine runs nicely. The carb internally may be okay, but the choke linkage is messed up. It's a Holley 1920 if I have that right.

The rear brakes are frozen at the wheel cylinder. The master cylinder was a fright so I'm not surprised. It appears my mom had the brakes done just before she parked the van since pulling off the drum reveals shoes/linings/springs/etc. that look as if they'd been installed yesterday. Even the wheel cylinder looks new (from the outside). So I suppose four new wheel cylinders will be in order (the master cylinder I already replaced).

So here's the scary part: The automatic transmission which appears to be topped off with fluid does not engage when shifted into gear. I know only a little about automatic transmissions; I've always preferred manual trannys. If there's another thread that I should read, please let me know. But for now, at least let me ask the experts what the possible cause(s) of the transmission not going into gear might be, perhaps from simplest to most complicated, so I can get an idea of how I might proceed to diagnose and hopefully correct the problem. I can say almost certainly that my mom kept this vehicle up and that it no doubt drove into its Rip van Winkle slumber under its own power. Please for this drill assume I know nothing about automatic transmissions: How would you suggest I proceed, step-by-step, to see why it won't engage a gear? If it is bad, I would appreciate suggestions also as to who I might ship the transmission to for repair that would do a good job of getting mom's van going again.

And most of all thank you for this forum and to all of you who are helping me out.

Dick R.
Elma WA
Next

Return to Metro