1951 Metro- The Restoration Begins

The Greatest Van Ever Made!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:52 am

Re: 1951 Metro- The Restoration Begins

Don't feel bad, Dom. I talked to the guys at Hemmings about that very subject and they said that's just how they have always handled that... the owner has no notice and seemingly everyone else comes up and says "Hey, saw your ride in a magazine!". They also said the same thing about calendar cars, no notice. So, hey, maybe the Metro will appear in next year's calendar! We'll let you know.lol

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:58 am

One thing that was cool was Hemmings came out with some large format prints of their cars and mine was one of the first to come out.
http://www.hemmings.com/store/posterdet ... ry2=59AHLY
Maybe they will do the van?
1955 BN2 Austin Healey 100M
1959 AN5 Austin Healey Sprite
The Original "Airport Racer"
1951 International Metro Step Van
Instagram- snapon.domenic

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:00 pm

I finally read the article. nice

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:32 pm

very cool.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:52 am

Well it's been awhile since I've been on the site. I always knew storing this truck was going to be difficult so I found a 1500sq ft warehouse to rent and because I can't leave anything alone, I'm making the inside look like a vintage 50s Service Station (That's another story for another day). We have been having fun showing the truck but I wanted to share my weekend with you. We have a show out here in Southern California called San Marino Motor Classic, considered by many to be Pebble Beach South. My friend had his Austin Healey entered and he thought if I got the truck entered we could hang out at the show like we used to do. The site was closed for submissions so I sent a general e-mail to the site and said my friend thought they might be interested in having my truck at your show and attached a link to the Hemmings cover. Aaron Weiss (the man) himself called me in five minutes and said yes the truck is cool and would love it at the show, but there is no class for it and will not be judged. No worries I thought, just to have a Metro and a Snap-on truck at that, at a Concours Show was enough for me.

300 plus cars there and about one quarter of the cars there were over one million dollars... and then there was my truck. A lot of reaction to the truck from people you wouldn't think would appreciate it. It was a billboard at the show, really people would met at the truck. You could see it from anywhere on the field and people would say met me at the Snap-on truck. So all the awards were given out and the first place cars are parked in a circle in the middle of the field and the "Best of Show" is picked from those winners. My friend won First Place with his Austin Healey for British Sports Car, not that a Healey was going to win "Best of Show" but you never know, so we waited... then my phone rang. It's Aaron Weiss "Get to your Snap-on truck right now!" click. I thought crap someone hit my truck so I ran across the field to the truck... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfXu7ZN_iEg

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:53 am

That is Fantastic! It is a good representation of a Metro, and I bet it was satisfying to have the recognition. You do excellent work!

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:50 am

that's awesome.

ps: in the video, maybe the little kids running after it at the end thought it was an ice cream truck?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:45 pm

I do not like to see out-of-control kids at car shows. My friend had kids standing on his Model "A" running boards and the paint was damaged. The mother was taking pictures so she would have something to show her pod. One of the mechanics I worked with drove his red Lamborghini Countach to the Company show and shine. Someone, possibly the same person, had opened the driver's door and put their kids in the car for pictures. There were three unwashed ankle biters fighting over who was to sit in the driver's seat. I kept the doors locked on our R120.
The Model "A" has a supercharged Mercury Flathead V8.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/lowres.cartoon ... 35_low.jpg
Attachments
MODEL A EH.jpg
Model "A" EH?
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:53 pm

Just absolutely wonderful work. Thank you!

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:56 am

lbesq wrote:That is Fantastic! It is a good representation of a Metro, and I bet it was satisfying to have the recognition. You do excellent work!

I would have been happy just getting my participate ribbon, event program and the photo they took of us as we came in. That would have been enough for me, just to be allowed to show the truck at a show of that level. You do these little street shows the judging is hit or miss, a lot of the people doing the judging are not really car guys and do not know what they are looking at. So to get that recognition at this show where they really know what they are looking is pretty satisfying- Thank You
PreviousNext

Return to Metro