What's New 2020 Metro Maniacs

The Greatest Van Ever Made!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:39 pm

What's New 2020 Metro Maniacs

Hello Folks!
It has been a while since I visited this site. I was stopping by to see what's new. I am still working on my IH 1957 Metro van stilllllll trying to figure out rebuilding these brake lines. Hoping to make progress this summer. We patched up some major holes to keep the rain from coming in and got her running pretty good. I will try to upload some pics. Just wanted to say hello to everyone and would love to see some new project pics.

Lisa
Attachments
IMG_7964.jpg
MetroLIT.jpg
me sitting on Metro.jpg
IMG_0822.jpg
valve red.jpg
IMG_7934.jpg
IMG_8017.jpg
IMG_8017.jpg
greenstripbondo.jpg
wiremeshdriver.jpg
sidestriprepairpass.jpg
sandedholespass.jpg
newbrakes.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:47 pm

Re: What's New 2020 Metro Maniacs

The trick to brake lines is having the right tools. They are an investment, but if you are going to do much work, worth buying.
everyone seams to like the Mastercool hyd flaring tool. I've made do with an Imperil Eastman set. A good tubing bender is also good to have.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:21 pm

Henry Ford said this: If you need a machine and don’t buy it, then you will ultimately find that you have paid for it and don’t have it.
I like to have tools, so the Ford Quote fits me perfectly.
I bought the Mastercool https://www.amazon.ca/Mastercool-71475- ... B007TN15EG. I have never regretted this purchase. Is this for everyone? I do not know.
This flare tool will make a perfect flare every time. Very few persons are able to wrestle the old style flare tool and have a not leaking double flare. I bought my Mastercool off a tool truck, 20+ years ago, and I know I paid way too much at $750cdn. The Mastercool will make a variety of tube flares and bubbles. I often see this model for much less. Shop around. Amazon can be the best price, but not always.
Another must have tool is the Ridgid 400 series tube bender. I have every size, now. I found all of them on Craigslist. These tube benders give a perfect bend every time. I have built some very complicated systems in space restricted areas, The 400 series made it possible.
On a side note, if that is your pretty face, I appreciate you posting the picture. We need this. Please Lloyd, do not post your picture.
Attachments
400 Series Instr. Bender_72dpi.jpg
Ridgid series 400 tube bending tool
MASTERCOOL FLARE TOOL.jpg
fantastic tool.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:27 pm

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:31 pm

I totally agree the right tools makes all the difference! We have the cheap Harbor Freight flare kit and it is not the deal. The hubby is practicing of course doing some flares and they are ALL lopsided. I have been eyballing the Mastercool kit for the past few weeks but was hesitant due to the price however I think I will just break down and get. Yep that's my selfie shot ha... thanks. I see the model you have is out of stock on Amazon it has the replacement one available and I see it on a different site as well. Thanks for your feedback appreciate it.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:50 pm

Summit Racing® Professional Flaring Tools SUM-900314 https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum- ... bvEALw_wcB
This is a fantastic price for this machine. I have seen it advertised for much more.
Also available from Eastwood. https://www.eastwood.com/professional-b ... HVEALw_wcB
I have to older style multi piece from SnapOn. I have decades of experience with this flare tool and the best I can get is about 7 out of 10 tries. this is very frustrating when I am flaring a tube that I have cut to length and there is not room to cut and try again.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:52 pm

A perfect double flare is needed to prevent leaks. Do not forget to put the nut on the tube before you start the flare.
Attachments
Bosch hydro-boost&plumbing.jpg
A tangle of Aeroquip and steel brake lines for a BOSCH Hydroboost.
master cylinder res.jpg
Rerouted brake line.jpg
Close bends and perfect flares with the right tool.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:03 pm

I can't remember the number of times I have either flared the tube without the nut, or made a tight radius bend with the nut on the wrong side of the bend! All part of getting gray hair I guess!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:35 pm

I am not going to confess to any of this. I have gone past the grey and gone white. I cannot see this, but my wife tells me, my carpet matches my drapes.
I never had a brake fluid leak on my R120. Even after 20+ years and 225,000 miles the system was intact. I used DOT5 silicone brake-fluid. The fluid stayed clear. The rear brake line to the rear burst as I drove the "R" into the carport for the last time. The brake line had rusted through from the outside in.
There is a newer brake line product that was not available when I did the "R" brakes. Summit Racing® Copper/Nickel Alloy Tubing SUM-220216-25. My hot-rod building friend highly recommends this product. the pricing is fair. This will be on my must get list for my next build. His latest build is a 392 Hemi powered Model "A" Ford pickup. I talked to him this morning. He asked if I thought adding a supercharger to the Hemi was a bad idea. Lloyd will not allow me to post what I said.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum- ... a2EALw_wcB
Attachments
MODEL A EH.jpg
Model "A"

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:46 pm

I am curious. What did/are you doing about a flaring tool? Are you in Canada?
Attachments
METRO 4.jpg
Tis is my METRO. Sadly, it is a 12 inch toy.
briggs metro.jpg
Next

Return to Metro