What's New 2020 Metro Maniacs

The Greatest Van Ever Made!

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:56 am

Re: What's New 2020 Metro Maniacs

I may be bias but I like my Snap-on double flaring set...Just saying. Maybe a little more money, but worth it. Plus a lifetime warranty because I can't tell you how many times I've replaced the dies when customers break them.
1955 BN2 Austin Healey 100M
1959 AN5 Austin Healey Sprite
The Original "Airport Racer"
1951 International Metro Step Van
Instagram- snapon.domenic

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:54 am

I would hope that you, a SnapOn Dealer, would have a bias toward the tools you sell.
I have had the SnapOn AE238 for decades. It works really well for the person with lots of experience with that tool. I know what to watch for when making a double flare with an AE238. I have made many proper double flares. My AE238 sits in a drawer with other tubing tools and I avoid using it.
One of the mechanics I worked with bought an inexpensive off-shore copy of the AE238 flare tool. The "bridge" was not machined straight. This made the tool impossible to use.
And another thing that bothers me. I spent the extra money to buy a SnapOn tube cutter for small tube. It has never worked correctly. Rather than cutting it likes to make threads. I did bring this up with the SnapOn truck dealer. He told me that I must have damaged the tool and never looked at it. Since that time,20 years ago, there is a new dealer on that route. I have been retired for 16 years, next month, so I an not around when the SnapOn truck shows up.. I will call and make arrangements to meet for a show-and-tell. The newer dealer who I am familiar with is a gentleman and a reasonable person. I have called him and ordered tools then met him in-route to pay up.
I cannot be critical of SnapOn quality and forward thinking designs. I know SnapOn is one of the most dependable tools to earn a living with.
It is very difficult for a start-up person to get a double flare right. This tool is identical to the Ridgid tool, I have had both. I strongly suspect there is lots of Ridgid DNA in the AE238.
I am thinking, "If this is the best SnapOn have to offer, it is time to add something better to the line-up.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:34 pm

Love the model metro! I saw one of those on ebay for like some crazy high price. I ordered the Hydraulic tool today for the hubby. I hope he does not forget the NUT> I will be there to supervise ha ha ha.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:59 pm

My METRO is by Liberty Classics in 1/24 scale. The detail is really good. I bought the seller's whole collection.
Attachments
FIRST GEAR.jpg
some of the other toys
FIRST GEAR.jpg (10.69 KiB) Viewed 4073 times

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:06 pm

Well I do LOVE the snap on tool Metro rebuild...I already ordered the mactool 7145 for the hubby. He may think I am crazy ordering such an expensive tool since he is pretty frugal...cheap...lol. Leave it to me to bring in the best, quality working items in the home. Now if it was a guitar or amp well that is a different story. He will splurge on one of those... ha... I figure he may use again down the road at some point since he likes tinkering with cars. I just hope we can make headway on this rebuild. We still have to get brake shoes for the back and figure out these drums once done and I need tires like really bad but I did search a while back with no luck. I need to get rid of these suicide killer split rims as well so any suggestions on where I can get some rims and tires to fit this metro would be awesome. Everything is original we did not change out axels or anything so I pray we can find what we need. I have duallys on the back too. :)

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:11 pm

I will get one of those one day... the model Metro's. That is one of the earlier ones 40's by looking at that grill. I am so in love with them ha... Glad I have one although my husband said I would have to get one of the biggest ones they made. I had no idea it would be as big as it is. I would have preferred a smaller one however I adore the one I have. :)

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:13 pm

oh wow the whole collection....that's cool. Was that a long time ago or recent purchase? I wondering if it was cheaper back then or now on the price?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:44 pm

That was about 7 years ago. I do not remember the price. The husband was in bad health and I paid what they were asking. This was not the time to press for a good deal.
Toys and collectable models have become very costly. My friend of 55 years buys and sells collectable toys. He has millions of dollars tied up in his extensive collection.. He sold his complete DINKY collection of mint and boxed and a few spares for $1.250,000. He used to buy and sell those Austin pedal cars. He often paid me to assemble the pedal cars and make what ever was missing.
His home is 4000 square feet of display cases and video surveillance. Every space is filled with toys, except his closet and the bathroom. Yes, he is single.
I am not allowed to take pictures inside his home.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:03 pm

ha... wowzer… that's amazing. Cool for you to be able to be a part of that as well. You sound like you have mad skills too :)!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:10 pm

We do have the nickel/copper lines someone else recommended as well that was the first thing I told the hubby we need to get! I like it.
PreviousNext

Return to Metro