46th Annual Gatornationals

Been to a show lately? Post your pics and comments here

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:46 pm

Re: 46th Annual Gatornationals

I was there in early September. You would get out of the truck and with-in seconds those lovebugs were all over you. Never bit you just bothered the heck out of you. Over on the coast they were non-existent. While climbing a pole in a Daytona back yard, I had a spider crawl up my pant leg and bite me on the calf, I never felt it bite me, but in a day my leg turned black from the ankle to the knee. The doctor told me it probabley was a baby recluse. It took a long time to get my leg back to normal.
Bill
KB owner since 1972 and still loving it.
Retired Lineman, mechanic, fabricator, retired motorcycle racer.
South Amherst, Ohio

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:51 am

So sorry you had to go through the spider bite problem. I've heard numerous stories about Recluse bites, some not as fortunate as yours. Many years ago, a co-worker, allergic to spider bites, came within minutes of being dead from a Recluse bite. Rapid treatment by medical professionals is all that saved him. Almost lost his arm due to the body's response to the bite. Another friend lost a big chunk of meat out of his leg from an infected Recluse bite. Recovery was very long.
Love bugs don't have a reputation of biting people. If you're not paying attention, they could fly into your mouth, though. They are strictly an annoyance to people. As for vehicles, I've seen trucks come into the plant with the front ends and the front wall of the trailer solid black with accumulations of bugs from the highways. When they are swarming, it's best to get your vehicle washed often to remove them because the acids from their bodies will eat into paint - even clearcoat. They seem to swarm around in mid spring and late summer/early fall. Usually not as bad in late summer. They should not be a problem at the Gatornationals unless we're having unseasonable weather.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:41 pm

Up here on the south shore of Lake Erie, we get lake midges and Canadian soldiers that swarm twice a year, spring and late summer. Coming back from a show one evening I had to stop on the side of the freeway to clean the window as I could not see out to drive. The wipers just smear them. I pressure washed Rusty as soon as I got home because by morning it would be a stinking mess. P U. That is the only time that I give Rusty a bath.
Bill
KB owner since 1972 and still loving it.
Retired Lineman, mechanic, fabricator, retired motorcycle racer.
South Amherst, Ohio
Previous

Return to Shows/Meets