Post Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:29 am

BETHEL BICENTENNIAL

Below is a copy of an email I received from the Bethel Bicentennial Planning Community. It would be nice for anyone in the area to participate in the event and post their pictures here.
jim

I found your email address on your website awhile back while trying to identify a truck shown in an old photo. However, I am now writing on behalf of the Bethel Bicentennial Committee. Bethel, a village in northwestern Berks County, in Pennsylvania, will be celebrating its 200th birthday this year. A celebration is planned for Saturday and Sunday, September 27 & 28, with a parade to be held Saturday afternoon.

I am writing to ask if you might have any members from Pennsylvania who might be interested in participating in our parade. We are looking for any and all antique or classic vehicles, but I would really like to have some International trucks if possible. Bethel has a connection to them, as there was a dealership here, from approximately 1925 to the 1950s. I thought that it would be nice to have them represented.

Although there won't be a car show, in addition to the parade we will have various historical displays. If any of your members are interested in doing a display of photos and/or memorabilia, they are welcome to do so. Have them contact me for more details.

The photo of the IHC truck which I mentioned earlier is attached, in case you have any interest in seeing it. I thought it was (is) a neat picture! The driver/owner was a local farmer who had a variety of business interests, one of which was a celery farm.

BETHEL BICENTENNIAL
September 27 & 28, 2014
Planned Events
Saturday, September 27
9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Community and Historical Displays
Bethel history, family history, antique tractors, “hit ‘n’ miss” gas engines,
displays by Bethel businesses and organizations, and more! Breakfast and lunch
will be available for purchase at Salem Reformed Church, along with baked goods.
10:00 a.m. Tour of Salem Union Cemetery
A free guided tour of the tombstones of some of Bethel’s prominent citizens,
along with brief histories. (A printed booklet will be available for a nominal charge.)
3:00 p.m. Parade followed by Honor Ceremony
Parade forming south of town and continuing north on Route 501 and Legion Drive
to fire company grounds. Ceremony to honor our local veterans.
5:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. Mini Carnival
Games, food and fun! Various Bethel organizations and businesses will have stands
with games and concessions, and a DJ will provide music on fire company grounds.
9:00 p.m. Fireworks
Sunday, September 28
10:30 a.m. – noon Community Church Service and Hymn Sing
Combined service by local pastors, and hymn sing.
Noon – ? Community Picnic
Bring your lawn chairs or blankets and a picnic lunch. Or purchase snacks and drinks from
local vendors. Carriage rides by Rodney Dieffenbach will be available (for a nominal fee).
Mark your calendars and plan to attend!!
Please note that this is a tentative outline of events and activities, and is subject to change.
To participate, join the committee, or for more information, contact:
Bethel Bicentennial Committee
P.O. Box 159, Bethel, PA 19507 • 717-933-4631
bethel2014@hotmail.com
Attachments
Calvin_IHC_Truck_1912.JPG