IHC Turbine Tractor

Collectors of literature, signs, refrigerators or other IHC items

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:57 am

IHC Turbine Tractor

Check out the HT341 Tractor at: http://www.antiquefarm.org/mainsite/museum/turbine_tractor.html
I was aware of the trials with the turbine driven semi, but not of the tractor. Very interesting, also I was not aware that IHC had a subsidary building aircraft APU's. MM

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:23 pm

Re: IHC Turbine Tractor

Mike,
I saw that tractor in person at the Smithsonian in about '79. I knew almost nothing about it then, but I've read most of the history more recently. It had a high power to weight ratio. Turbine engines don't like abrasives in the air and tractors often work in dusty conditions, so service life would have been too short. It was ground breaking technology, though. (No pun intended)

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:34 am

Hey Dean, I hadn't thought as much about the dirt as I had the high power to weight ratio. Kind of defeating its own purpose with a tractor where you need a lot of weight to pull the load. So two strikes against a turbo tractor but a lot of fun to look at. MM

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:09 pm

Mike,
Yes weight is needed for traction. I guess more could have been added.
Remember the failed Iranian hostage rescue? Three of eight turbine-engined helicopters ingested too much sand into their air inlets and the engines failed. I actually can't vouch for the accuracy of this story, but that's the way I heard it.
Under more favorable conditions they can last a long time. I remember talk in the '60's about how the turbine engine in a car would outlast several bodies. Buy a new car, swap in the old engine.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:25 pm

One of my high school jobs was at a big Chrysler Dealer in Calgary. I remember when the Turbine Car came through. Lot boys do not rate a ride, but I got to stand there and watch as it whined into the distance with the managers. I think that a turbine powered R120 would be something to brag about.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Return to IHC Ania