OLD DEALERSHIP MEMORIES

Collectors of literature, signs, refrigerators or other IHC items

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:08 pm

OLD DEALERSHIP MEMORIES

This link of 100 some Canadiana Pictures has a large collection of Canadian IHC and the first picture is of the dealership where my father bought his BC-150 grain truck. Jack Deltombe was the proprietor. I remember it being on the north side of 99 ave. before there was even pavement! 102 st. I think Mike Greenlaw would remember this as well. It was our town.
http://dc.lib.uoguelph.ca/DC:429/detail ... :429-63100

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:45 pm

Re: OLD DEALERSHIP MEMORIES

Manny,
There are some fine looking S series trucks in that picture! It's interesting to me that the rear tractor tires are on backwards. I've seen people run combine tires backwards (figured they could back out of any mud they could get into) but not a tractor where drawbar pull was important.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:41 am

Great picture, I doubt the tires on backwards. Im going to guess that's its something to do with the photograph/way it was developed . My Dad has picture of himself sitting very similar tractor in the same time frame. In the picture the tires are also the wrong way on the tractor. We still have the tractor, I can tell you the tread is going the right way in real life. I enjoy looking @ old pictures like that & wondering what times were like. Thanks

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:53 am

Funny,I was just thinking about that site yesterday! I couldn't remember the name to find it again.There's some good pic's of old binders. thnx Manny 8-)

Very easy to print off a reversed negative and everything will be "backwards".
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:06 am

Scottso said 'Very easy to print off a reversed negative and everything will be "backwards"'.

I thought about a flipped negative, too but the truck's steering wheels and spare tires are on the left side.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:48 pm

yeah,...ok guys,...I see what you're thinking, but the reality is that is the exact way the dealership was. and,...the tractor would also be backwards, double reversing the effect you are thinking about.
then,..the steering wheels are on the "correct--left"side, reinforcing my point. The direction of the "v" in the tire can't be photographicly corrected by a simple photoshop flip.
So,...alas, the question remains, why are they backwards. I have seen this done before, but entirely forget the reason. Too long since I been farmin' Manny

edit add: do you suppose the mechanic simply put the right wheel on the left and vice versa?....just a thought.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:17 am

I know! I know!
The tractor was either built 1st thing Monday morning and the guy was hung over OR on a Friday and was last one before his shift ended. That accounts for them being put on that way. Image

I didn't even think to check the str. whl. Image
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:06 pm

Manfred Range wrote:This link of 100 some Canadiana Pictures has a large collection of Canadian IHC and the first picture is of the dealership where my father bought his BC-150 grain truck.

That is a great IH dealer photo. And that tractor tire is definitely on backwards. Likely for some special purpose. I wondered if it was a "shop tractor" with a fork lift mounted on the back but can see no sign of it. No doubt they had a good reason for installing it backwards at the time.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:31 pm

Please correct me on this, but I have a vague suspicion that my father once did that to prevent the rear end from fish tailing in a spin. the summers of 64 an65 were very wet in the Peace River Country and even though the Fescue (lawn seed cash crop exclusive to that area of the world) was dry and seed falling out, the ground was wettish. There was a lot of spinning going on and fish-tailing wasn't good for the surface either. I think that may have been the reason. I was just an 11 yr old kid. A mistake is probably the most likely reason.

Does anyone (hint hint, Scott) have other dealership pics from way back?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:58 am

This is the first time I had seen these old dealership pictures. This link is for the IHC that was about 1/2 mile from where I live. I know 2 guys that worked there when the picture was taken,. One fellow still drives the 41 K1 his dad bought there NEW., he has to be pushing 90. The dealership was a hub of activity with a busy diner across the street where many drivers and customers waited for service/repairs.
http://images.ourontario.ca/uguelphdc/65234/data
Next

Return to IHC Ania