IHC Trivia

Collectors of literature, signs, refrigerators or other IHC items

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:30 pm

IHC Trivia

IHC vast Melrose Park "campus" is where they design and build some engines. IHC moved there after WW2, Who owned it and what did it produce during the war?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:18 pm

Re: IHC Trivia

Rifles the brand was IH so I likely is wrong ,
they made all kinds of war equipment... how bout a hint

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:35 pm

It wasn't IHC's during the war, someone else owned it, but it did produce stuff for the war effort. It did produce the same type item during the war and after IHC owned it.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:52 pm

When I worked in and around Chicago, you could see remnants of "the war effort" every where. The steel plants with multiple rail links to multiple rail lines (some long abandon after the war, like the Lackawanna and Erie) Multiple coke ovens at each steel mill, (now just two coke ovens feed all the mills along the lake shore today) and big cavernous buildings with riveted construction ( you can tell the date by how they were made) that made armaments' and other war products. I lived near the Joliet arsenal, with its under ground storage for live ammo.
The amount that could be produced in and around the bottom of lake Michigan is staggering by today's standard. We could never win WW 2 today. I've seen several pictures of the area's back then and today, the amount of stuff that came out of the area back then is mind blowing. Flatcar after flatcar of tanks and artillery etc.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:00 pm

The US Government built and owned the plant, it was run by GM (Buick div) to build B 24 engines.

Return to IHC Ania