IHC tire pump

Collectors of literature, signs, refrigerators or other IHC items

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:26 pm

Re: IHC tire pump

IHC had a PTO tire pump as an option. I will likely fit a small compressor to one of my BLD in the K's. Once I sell my electric start 9670 it would be nice to have something with electric start that could charge a start tank in case something goes wrong.
Right now it take more than a week to bleed down, never really know cause I don't let them sit that long.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:15 pm

I have a minor leak in the air system of my Ford. I cannot find it, so far. I cannot hear a leak because I have tinnitus. The tank is four liters. The system loses 40 psi from 100psi in 4 hours and total loss in 24 hours. I have done the soap test and I did not find a leak, yet. I think the solenoid is slow leaking through to the air horns, maybe.
The air springs are controlled by Holland-Neway leveling valves. There is a solenoid for the option Ford COE airhorns. I am in the mood to look at this, again, tomorrow.
Attachments
horn air.jpg
Ford

COE air horns and front leveling valve
horn AIR solenoid.jpg
solenoid
AIR TANK PUMP AND MANIFOLD.jpg
compressor and tank.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:32 am

Every connection and every device is a potential leak. Solenoids and valves rarely are leak free. I know the solenoid I use for air start has a small leak right out of the box, it was not designed to be leak free.
On my other truck the manual push button is certified for gas service. Many air starters are used (or were back in the day of IC pump engines) in NG pumping stations. The use the line pressure to crank the engine.
On the air start system I keep the connection to the minimum on the "live" side of things. There is the check valve, relay valve line to the push button and the button or solenoid itself. The live line is a single piece of nylon brake tube. all this to keep the potential leaks to a minimum.
I find level valves to be a source of leaks. mine leak off until the tank pressure is below what it takes to hold the vehicle height, then the system will hold some air for more than 12 hrs. not a full amount but there is some in the bags.
I look at cycle times while in use to asses the condition of the system. If my compressor cycles off for more than 15 min while running down the road, I call it good. I had at one time, the system where it would go 45 min between compressing on a 5 axle truck and trailer combo going down the highway!
Previous

Return to IHC Ania