1954 Fageol

Truck finds of all conditions OLD ADDS WILL BE REMOVED

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:52 pm

1954 Fageol

This behemoth of a truck would haul and store a massive amount of IH parts! https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/ ... 10973.html

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:52 pm

Re: 1954 Fageol

Wow. I don't think I've ever seen one!
Matt H.
My toys:
1951 International
1972 Buick Centurion
1957 Buick Special
1939 Buick Special
1978 Cadillac Superior Hearse

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:33 pm

This truck is listed in the International Trucks book by Fred W Crismon. Page 296
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:39 pm

I never saw one of these Fageol vans, either. I heard there is one here in BC and it has been repowered by a Cummins B series 12 valve, 5.9l.
These vans are so ugly that they have crossed the line into "interesting and cute."
The company I worked for for for nearly 40 years had quite a few of the Twin-Coach buses. Some moron got the idea to remove one of the engines to save on fuel and maintenance. Almost all of the real-estate here stands on end, the now single engine Fageols struggled with hills and often did not make the grade.
The control panel next to the driver had over 50 switches. If there was a need for heat, a passenger seat had the base cushion removed and there were large gate valves. The windows were not safety glass. The air shift 2 speed transmission took so long to shift up the shift was never completed on even the slightest hill. The engine (engines) were gasoline fueled. It was not uncommon for and engine fire. The engines were midship mounted 6 cylinder and laying on their side. I was told Fageol made an articulated bus. I would bet on that being a real POS. I remember, back in the mid 1970s, one of the Fageol busses caught on fire near the engine. This happened on North Vancouver near Third street and Lonsdale. The driver drove the bus into a new construction site on Esplanade. There was a meter of rain water in a low spot. I remember the driver saying he took his new shoes off and walked out to the street.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:36 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:I never saw one of these Fageol vans, either. I heard there is one here in BC and it has been repowered by a Cummins B series 12 valve, 5.9l.
These vans are so ugly that they have crossed the line into "interesting and cute."
The company I worked for for for nearly 40 years had quite a few of the Twin-Coach buses. Some moron got the idea to remove one of the engines to save on fuel and maintenance. Almost all of the real-estate here stands on end, the now single engine Fageols struggled with hills and often did not make the grade.
The control panel next to the driver had over 50 switches. If there was a need for heat, a passenger seat had the base cushion removed and there were large gate valves. The windows were not safety glass. The air shift 2 speed transmission took so long to shift up the shift was never completed on even the slightest hill. The engine (engines) were gasoline fueled. It was not uncommon for and engine fire. The engines were midship mounted 6 cylinder and laying on their side. I was told Fageol made an articulated bus. I would bet on that being a real POS. I remember, back in the mid 1970s, one of the Fageol busses caught on fire near the engine. This happened on North Vancouver near Third street and Lonsdale. The driver drove the bus into a new construction site on Esplanade. There was a meter of rain water in a low spot. I remember the driver saying he took his new shoes off and walked out to the street.

Quite a story Brian,

That 1954 Fageol is a cool rig , I best sleep on the couch tonight the wife may hear me dreaming of it for another project,
Harvey could almost fit inside of it :)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:02 pm

Supposedly there are two in western Iowa, I have seen one of them and can confirm it does or did exist. The other is supposed to be about 40 miles south of the 1st in Hamburg Ia. Both are in rough shape.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:00 pm

I wonder is anyone can guess what my auto-correct did with Fageol.
Attachments
hey-autocorrect-quit-tampering-with-o-my-curse-words-you-43574469.png

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:05 pm

Hi, the pictures are on craigslist. Craigslist never seems to stay around for more than a few weeks. So that people in the future know what truck you're talking about, I've copied a few pictures of the truck from Craigslist to here.
Enjoy.
Fageol-1.JPG

Fageol-3.JPG

Fageol-4.JPG

Fageol-5.JPG
Attachments
Fageol-2.JPG

Return to Diamonds in the Rough