1972 Buick Centurion
1957 Buick Special
1939 Buick Special
1978 Cadillac Superior Hearse

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:11 pm

Re: L series pickup

I have never said this before now. I would likely clean it up and drive it as is, for the time of being. I must be getting old, like the truck.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:55 pm

I tend to agree with that. I think the truck has a lot of character. A full restoration would lose some of that. I'm running into some of the same decisions with my '36 C40. For now, I'm just trying to take care of the mechanical problems. After that, it gets a lot harder. If I keep the appearance as is, it is at risk for further rust/deterioration. If I strip and paint the sheet metal to protect it, it will lose some of it's character and history...
1936 International C40
1962 Triumph TR4
2002 Chevy Avalanche

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:58 pm

The risk of deterioration will be much greater if the truck is left as-is. If the metal is not cleaned properly, the rust will continue under a paint-job.
Sand-blasting is a terrible idea. Google Sandblasting of sheetmetal. The surface is left rough. over heated and distorted. Oxygen is introduced into the surface of the metal. Rust will continue at a much accelerated pace.
If this were my truck, I would likely drive it as is on dry days, in the first summer. The Lower Mainland uses salt on the roads in the winter. I would not subject that truck to salted roads. That would be Le coup de grace.
My favorite and tried metal cleaning method is crushed walnut shell blasting. I had my 1940 Ford body done with walnut shell crush. http://www.osairstrip.ca/
The paint does not have to be anything expensive. Tremclad or Rustoleum is so very close to the original factory paint, but the quality is so much better. I will be using Canadian Tremclad on our 1952 L110 and then my R120 crewcab. I like the more original look of these paints. They have lots of surface shine but lack the depth. These paints are available with a customer added hardener.
I paid $24,749.16 for the super paint and body on my '40 Ford. I got what I wanted at a price I was willing to pay. No regrets. I am confident I will be able to paint one of our IHC pickups for less then $75cdn. Tremclad is available in gallons.
I am not in favour of preserving history of a vehicle, unless it is something rare that demands more originality.
My Dad was pleased that I did not keep his old R120 in as found condition. I would think by not making an effort to make that truck look better and last longer would be a form of disrespect to the brand and the history. Come on put some make-up on Grandma.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:51 am

Did anyone notice the short box without the left fender not cut out for the spare tire? There is no reinforcement plates on the inside of the box either. Not sure how the spare tire is being held at the right front of the box. There is or was factory spare tire carrier under the rear of that box.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:27 pm

randemon wrote:I tend to agree with that. I think the truck has a lot of character. A full restoration would lose some of that. I'm running into some of the same decisions with my '36 C40. For now, I'm just trying to take care of the mechanical problems. After that, it gets a lot harder. If I keep the appearance as is, it is at risk for further rust/deterioration. If I strip and paint the sheet metal to protect it, it will lose some of it's character and history...

I'm right there with ya!
56 S120 4x4,

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:44 pm

I'd be after it if it were a long bed. The year tag (right side) looks white and while hard to see, to me it recognizably has two numbers, a round shape and two more numbers. White with the year split by a symbol stopped in 1978. It may have driven to where he found it and he does say it has not been started in a while, I'd go with 30 years.

Return to Diamonds in the Rough