State of Affairs

New stuff, changes, etc. in the forums and elsewhere that we want to let you know about.

Moderator: Jupes

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:03 am

Re: State of Affairs

Tad,
The system you are referring to would be what the "Binder Bulletin" used years ago.
Off the top of my head, I do not remember what the cost was, but I do remember that the cost far outweighed the donations that OldIHC gets. Hence, I do not use it.
You can upload pictures to our current forms. However, this is still not a "gallery" which is what we would "ideally" want to use.
Jim

jungerfrosch wrote:How much more would it cost to host the site if pictures are hosted by the site, rather than offsite(photobucket, etc.)?

I think that the site is great but it is a hassle to put things on photobucket....and when sites die, or change how they work then all the pictures die, and a lot of posts become kinda meaningless.

I'm not trying to complain, just wondering the cost involved.

Tad

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:03 am

See what confuses me is posts like this: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2769 where the pictures are(or sure look to be) hosted by oldihc. Are thy including them as attachments....so then they are uploaded to the site?

This is what I meant by hosting the pictures on the site...perhaps we misunderstood each other before. I was referencing pictures within posts. My main reason for not liking linking pictures to other sites(photobucket, etc...) is that the links can all be broken if the hosting site dies, or changes something. I have seen quite often entire posts that become worthless because the pictures disappear over time.

I know having pictures uploaded affects bandwidth, and hosting fees....I was just wondering to what extent. The better the site the more people will use it....the more that use it hopefully the more advertising revenue....or at least hopefully more donations.

Tad
Last edited by jungerfrosch on Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:08 am

When you create a new post, down at the bottom left corner of that page, you will find a red link that says "Upload Attachment". This is what you can use to upload your pictures.
Hope that helps.
Attachments
TheFarm.jpg

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:11 pm

Pictures that reside on your computer can be uploaded to your post and they will be in the post as long as it exists. Pictures on a site like Photo bucket can also be uploaded that same way, you just have to "copy" them. If you copy the link then if the link is broken, then of course the picture is gone. (this can vary from hosting site to hosting site, the ability to "copy" a picture and insert it into your post) I prefer to bring the picture back to my computer then upload it to my posts. I know it seems more complicated than the old way but it is the way this software is set up. I do agree, it is very frustrating to read a post and the link to a picture or other item is broken or missing.
Jim may correct me, but I do not think that having pictures placed in the posts and "using" to much band width is such an issue as it used to be.

My thoughts
Lloyd
Previous

Return to Messages from the Admins