Quarterly Newsletter

New stuff, changes, etc. in the forums and elsewhere that we want to let you know about.

Moderator: Jupes

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:24 am

Re: Quarterly Newsletter

That is what Howard was thinking. But he is still trying to find an address of where it is or used to be.

Ol Beast wrote:Well, unfortunately, this area was long ago part of an urban "removal" project. I will have to do some research to see if i can find where the plant stood :? , but it appears based upon that location that it is long gone.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:36 am

The Akron City Directory for 1915, page 1523, lists International Harvester Corporation at 112 E. Center:
image001.png

In another part of the directory, on page 823, it includes the name W. A. Bryan as superintendent:
image002.png

W. A Bryan was the Akron Works factory superintendent in 1915. The following clipping comes from the June 1912 issue of Harvester World, page 28:
image003.png

I hope this helps.

Lee

Lee Grady
McCormick-International Harvester Collection Archivist
Library-Archives Division
Wisconsin Historical Society
816 State Street
Madison, WI 53706

Phone: 608-264-6484
Fax: 608-264-6486
E-Mail: lee.grady@wisconsinhistory.org
Web: www.wisconsinhistory.org/libraryarchives/ihc

Collecting, Preserving and Sharing Stories Since 18

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:12 pm

Looks like E Center St. is now University Ave. and the site has been swallowed up by the University.

But I doubt if any of the old buildings survived long enough for the University to tear them down. A 1920 IH letter regarding the search for a new plant site that eventually led to the selection of Fort Wayne states that the Akron buildings were in such bad condition that if production were to be expanded there, most of them would have to be torn down and replaced. I'm guessing they probably dated back to the 1870s or earlier when Buckeye reaper manufacturing began there.

And the plant was right next to the railroad because the letter mentioned a proposed expansion of the railroad right of way would take 80' off the front of the property.

Howard
Previous

Return to Messages from the Admins