New L-130 owner

Stop in, say hi, and let us know a little bit about yourself and your project!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue May 15, 2018 7:40 am

New L-130 owner

Hi became a new /old owner of a 1950 L-130 barn find from Saskatchewan last fall.The truck resides in Niagara Falls ,Ontario ,Canada
The old truck is on the road and running great great.
The only problem kinda is it runs really Slow feels like 45mph is its top speed.
So i am thinking of installl a newer 74 gmc 3/4 ton rear in it . Its a Dana 60 with hopefully 3.73 gears.
Has any done this with some of there feed back on what and what not to do.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue May 15, 2018 10:31 am

Re: New L-130 owner

Others will speak up, and be sure to post over on the L,R,S Thread with more Questions. If that axle is the right width and you can make the connection for your drive shaft, the taller gears will probably give you a bit more speed. These trucks were definitely NOT made for speeding down the roads of today. They were made for work and could pull all day long with a load. Mind your drums, if they are the 6 on 7 1/4 bolt spacing, they are all but impossible to find. I have found one fellow who says he can re-sleeve them, but not cheap. We always like pictures, so when you get a chance, please post some. WELCOME TO THE GROUP!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 15, 2018 1:12 pm

Welcome to the site!
Is this L130 a single or dual rear wheel model? The '73 - '87 GM 14 bolt single wheel rear axle with the stock GM wheels is very close to the same tread width as the LRS 120 (single rear wheel). I haven't looked into the dually axles. Spring perches would almost certainly have to be moved. You'll need a custom drive shaft. You'll likely end up with more rear braking power than front, but calculation need to be made, because you taking this axle almost certainly from a power brake system and putting it in one that is very unlikely to have power assist.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat May 19, 2018 8:01 am

lbesq wrote:Others will speak up, and be sure to post over on the L,R,S Thread with more Questions. If that axle is the right width and you can make the connection for your drive shaft, the taller gears will probably give you a bit more speed. These trucks were definitely NOT made for speeding down the roads of today. They were made for work and could pull all day long with a load. Mind your drums, if they are the 6 on 7 1/4 bolt spacing, they are all but impossible to find. I have found one fellow who says he can re-sleeve them, but not cheap. We always like pictures, so when you get a chance, please post some. WELCOME TO THE GROUP!

Thanks
Yes they are 6 on 7 1/4 With brand new shoes , cylinders and drums have been cleaned up. I will want to sell them because they will be of know use to me anymore once I do the swap. Any ideal on a fair price, I realize they are as rare as hens teeth.Will post pictures soon.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat May 19, 2018 8:05 am

dean466 wrote:Welcome to the site!
Is this L130 a single or dual rear wheel model? The '73 - '87 GM 14 bolt single wheel rear axle with the stock GM wheels is very close to the same tread width as the LRS 120 (single rear wheel). I haven't looked into the dually axles. Spring perches would almost certainly have to be moved. You'll need a custom drive shaft. You'll likely end up with more rear braking power than front, but calculation need to be made, because you taking this axle almost certainly from a power brake system and putting it in one that is very unlikely to have power assist.

Dean

Hi Dean
Yes this is a single rear wheel ,and yes 2 new spring perches needing be installed right next to the old ones
As for drive shaft looks like just a different u joint will need to be used. Will see when i start to dig into it. Right now just getting ready to tear into new dif to make sure its all good.
Keep everyone posted with progress.
Thanks
Rick

Return to Introduce Yourself