Yet another new guy, w 1951 L110

Stop in, say hi, and let us know a little bit about yourself and your project!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon May 07, 2018 8:48 am

Yet another new guy, w 1951 L110

So the other day I bought a 1951 L110 or L112. I believe the title says 112 but the badges say 110. Let me back up.....I am in south east SD and this is my first IH. I have always been a Ford guy, as of now I have a 51 F4, a couple 52s, F2 and F3, a 60 and 63, 66 and 67. You get the picture. My main questions on the forums will be what not to scrap or throw away. I don't have a clue what is worth saving and what is repoped. As of now the plan is to repower with an auto trans. Leave the body alone and just add some nice wheels and tires, maybe a late model rear axle. I'm currently thinking about a Ford 300 inline six with auto but my kid mentioned a 4bt or 6bt. Don't know if I want the expense of an oil burner. Anyway, that's me. A guy in SD with a herd of Fords that now has a 1951 L series. Actually bought the IH from the guy I got my 67 Ford from. The old IH had sat next to the fence line for 40 years and is in AMAZING shape. That's why I bought it, the body is super clean. The head is off the old 220 and the engine is stuck. It must be a 3 speed on the column. I will thank everyone in advance for any help given along the way. Thanks!!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 07, 2018 9:25 am

Re: Yet another new guy, w 1951 L110

Almost nothing is re-pop'd for these, so keep that in mind, I think someone was making hub caps, that is about it!
300 and a C-4, with an Explorer rear end would be a good fit, and I know you'd feel right at home with it!
The IHC small 6 are available, many are pulled for V-8 swaps,
The IHC rear will likely be to low geared for your taste today, so the Explorer rear fits and has the right wheel bolt pattern.
Edit:
I think the small Cummins are good engines, but I will never have another diesel in a "car". I run big Cummins every day for my work, and they are great for something that runs loaded for long periods at a time. For going to town and back, I think they aren't worth the trouble.
Many here will disagree with me, but that is my take.
I really like any of the domestic inline 6 gas engines. All of them were very good. I include the AMC 6 in that. It would be hard to go wrong with any of them.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon May 07, 2018 6:20 pm

Re: Yet another new guy, w 1951 L110

I will keep that in mind cornbinder, that very little is repoped for these trucks. I have lurked around for a while since buying the old girl and from what I read the explorer rear axle is the common swap. I also read the the steering is the problem when looking into a v8 swap. I really like to keep things simple to a point, and redoing steering for a v8 when a bigger more recent inline six will solve the problem without reinventing the wheel so to speak. If it will do a burn out and cruise at 65-75 mph without screaming for its life will be good enough for me. I dont plan on keeping the drivetrain around so when it comes out if someone needs a piece or part for a resto I will pass those parts on. If nobody needs them I think they will go to live another life as something else. I don't have the room to store everything we pull off. And I drive a diesel everyday as well so I understand your comment. Time will tell.

Return to Introduce Yourself