1961 B160 Project Truck

Stop in, say hi, and let us know a little bit about yourself and your project!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:11 pm

1961 B160 Project Truck

Hey! Thanks for allowing me to join.

I recently purchased a 1961 B160. It is an 8-ton that was owned by the Forestry Dept, then used by a VA college, and eventually auctioned off. I bought it from the son of the guy who bought it. Odometer shows 33k miles but isn't working, so is likely meaningless. It runs and drives, but needs a complete overhaul - and many things don't work:
-Brake, turn and the horn doesn't work - there's a wire hanging out of the steering column for the horn. The turn stalk is still there but does nothing.
-Don't know if the cab heater works, or if it is worth getting working, or merely replacing it.
-What is the "V" knob to the left of the steering wheel?
-Many of the instrument cluster dials either don't work or are not accurate.
-What is the little box below and to the right of the steering column?
-Brakes are touchy, and master cylinder is leaking brake fluid.
-The engine has dead spots when gas is pressed, and stalls under WOT.

There's no manual, and there isn't a lot of information that I can find on this truck, so any help would be much appreciated.

I have a mechanic who is familiar with the 304 v8 that will be helping on the engine stuff - and I also bought a copy of the 304 maintenance and repair manual. I'm trying to find out if there is a manual for this truck that I can get my hands on - and also find out the feasibility of mounting a T10 overdrive unit on the Borg Warner 4-speed.

My intention is to fix the truck up and use it for picking up and dropping off logs and moving lumber. It also will be a conversation piece for our woodworking and lumber business. We are going to re-paint it, and redo the bed in Jatoba (Brazilian Cherry). Many add-ons are planned with an eye toward making the truck capable of running into WV to pick up logs/lumber, and back to Fredericksburg, VA - so I need to get it up to 70-75 to run on the highway (speed limit is 70 - hence the desire for an overdrive).

Additional work that we have purchased parts to complete this overhaul include:

New fuel filter
Valve Cover Gaskets
Coil, wires, plugs, distributor, points
New master cylinder
GM Alternator
Complete 21 circuit wiring kit
Dietz revolving amber light for roof
Horns
winch
2.5-ton bed mounted service crane
big rig 3-point mount mirrors
Firetruck spotlights
running lights
brake/turn/reverse lights

Considering doing either a TBI kit add-on or swapping in a 350.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thanks again for allowing me to post here. I hope this is the right place for the intro ;)
Thanks!

David/fxbgworkshop

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:44 pm

Re: 1961 B160 Project Truck

For books, check ebay and reprints are at binderbooks.com Here is one from Binderbooks
MT-107 International B-100 to B-180 Models Parts Catalog, reprint, (1264 pgs). This book contains exploded views and part numbers, separated by sections of the trucks. It is helpful when ordering parts. $99.95

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:00 pm

I'll give them a call - thanks!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:07 am

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4470
If interested PM or email

Return to Introduce Yourself