Howdy I'm the new guy! 1956 T-all

Stop in, say hi, and let us know a little bit about yourself and your project!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:48 am

Re: Howdy I'm the new guy! 1956 T-all

IMG_20180128_154220-777x1036.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:24 am

"Because I have it" is the worse reason to use an engine in a swap. 2nd worse reason is because I want a diesel. Engine swaps should be thought out, match the chassie and "make sense". If you want "stink" mix 10%-20% diesel in the gas tank!
The 250 CHevy would make sense, many parts avaiable, about the same size and weight, lots of aftermarket stuff for them.
I run heavy diesels, they run all day long, and have an espar running all night, require a fuel heater to run in cold weather and below -20 or so may require #1 diesel if the tanks aren't heated. All are a pain and kinda stupid for a personal vehicle that doesn't run for 12 hr at a time.
You say you are working outside, do you have the ablity to weld? how about light stuff like the firewall? How do you plan to deal with the amount of added weight?
You never said what was wrong with the orignal powerplant? In most cases save a crack in the castings, it is cheaper to repair than replace with something else. Even with a crack, it is often cheaper to go back with the same engine family than something else.
There are a million things that need to be adapted, designed, made, and installed to make everything work. This applies to the 250 Chevy as well as the 6.9.
If after all this you still need an "oil burner" than the 4 or 6 B Cummins makes the most sense. Nikki has the experience with a 6.9 in an R series. The 6.9 was the 1st real light truck diesel, when it came to be, its competitor was the GM 5.7 disaster. It was anemic and heavy with low power, its claim to fame is that it lasted where others died early. I ran one in a service truck and it got about 7 mpg, and my L10 powered semi got in the high 6's, carrying 6 times the weight and 10x the wind resistance.
Again, having an engine at hand doesn't make it a good choice. Sell the 6.9 and use the money for getting something more suitable.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:59 am

I've had the truck in my life for 3 years now the first two years I spent Reviving The Original bd240 only to find exactly that a giant 14 inch crack in the block. I was heartbroken actually ended up selling the vehicle somehow got it back and have been in turmoil over the engine and all that for quite some time now. I thought heavily about the Cummins but the Nostalgia of keeping everything International kept me on board with the V8 Diesel. Up here in Alaska we're pretty used to dealing with cold diesel starts and stuff. I pulled the engine out of a running rig that would start up in 20 below no problem with a little bit of being plugged in on the block heater.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:00 am

And I wouldn't say I'm using this engine because I had it it was actually a choice. I was going to do the inline 6 Nissan Diesel but it was .6 of a liter smaller than the original 3.9 L didn't really want to step down that far. As far as the engine wait up front I was going to do some airbags and probably beef up some leaf springs. I already have a Chevy 14-bolt rear sitting underneath the back side and I've managed to swap the front side on the Dana 44 to disc brakes using the original axle housing

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:02 am

I really do appreciate all the input I've been doing this in my head mostly I don't entirely know what I'm doing but I'm definitely not a complete goober. I have the good manuals and everything but this will be my first actual heart transplant into something that it doesn't belong in. I have a small welder available for getting everything welded in in and portable. My big goal right now I need to get the vehicle running and moving so that I can get paperwork so they can legally be mine as of this point it was a gift from a friend that was sitting in his yard

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:25 am

Bag's and springs don't make the frame any stronger. IHC used Nissan diesels in the scout, so that would make it quasi-IHC. IHC 301 diesel would be another, but they weren't the best either.
You can get just about anything to start if plugged in, but that doesn't negate all the other problems, it doesn't mean it will continue to run. I truck at -30 and without fuel heat, and even with, you risk gelling in the tank. All in all I have had diesel personal vehicles, and will not have another. Unless you ran 10-12 hr a day there is little to be gained by a Diesel. Gas can be started and stopped, and re started.
Talk with Nikki, he knows all that has to be done to make it a success, he did it, and does good work. I think you'll find there is a lot more to a good swap than "come here and hold this while I weld it in place"!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:33 am

I think it sucks I gave off the impression that that's what I'm doing. I'm building this truck because I have love for old Vehicles not because I have a nice shop or a whole bunch of money to dump into it. This is about as low budget start up as you can get. But I've built a few engines I happen to know that there's a lot of stuff to calculate which is why I'm here asking for expert advice. And no I don't weld like a farmer. It cost a bit extra to be picky up here in interior Alaska. Sounds like I should have been a bit more patient got what I really wanted to begin with but hey cheers to life lessons right

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:00 pm

No one knows you or your ability, so this is just information. Some things need saying because this may be read by more persons than yourself.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:10 pm

You're right. I'll let ya'll know how it turns out when I get done.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:13 pm

IMG_20180125_132726-777x1036.jpg
Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself