New Member - Colorado Springs CO

Stop in, say hi, and let us know a little bit about yourself and your project!

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:34 pm

New Member - Colorado Springs CO

Hello - a quick intro before I start down this journey...

Me: Retired from the Air Force a few years ago. Spent the next five years traveling through the US and Canada in an RV. Settled into the Colorado Springs area to spend time with my sister and youngest daughter, in a place that is simply beautiful, with SO much to do. Now that I have a 1,200 sq/ft workspace for myself...well, I need a project truck - duh! ;)

The truck: '52 L-112, 3/4 ton, BG241 (originally a 220), and four on the floor. Speedo is missing, so no idea of the mileage. Picked it up two days ago, and like most of us - it needs a hug. Got most of the important pieces - need to track down some of the smaller stuff. PO swapped the rear end out for a Ford 8.8 with disc brakes - everything else is period correct.

Current plan: I don't want to restore the truck into a show piece, and only drive it on occasions. The plan IS to make the truck safe and reliable, and make it my daily driver, doing the work that pickup trucks are supposed to do. Vast majority of the sheet metal is in great shape - need to treat the rust through spots on the bed and tailgate (cab is pretty solid). I like the patina, and have no plans to paint the entire truck. Want to upgrade the brakes - add front discs and power brakes. Need to get the 241 running and connect the tranny to the rear end. Once driving - figure out what else it needs to run reliably, what kind of performance and mpg it gets, and decide if that fits the bill for me or if changes need to be made. May change the stance, and possibly move it towards a mild rat-rod look (like the flexibility that allows) - who knows. What I am certain of though is that along the way, I'll need to pick the collective brain on this site for research and problem solving - I thank you in advance!

Well, that's it for now - just wanted to say "hi"...
Attachments
IMG_0818.JPG
IMG_0817.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:51 pm

Re: New Member - Colorado Springs CO

Welcome to OLD IHC. I like your truck and I like your plans. I wish we had your weather.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:36 pm

Welcome to the site! Sounds like you'll have a nice driving truck when you're done.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:18 pm

Here is a picture of a local "L" IHC. It has a Cummins 24 valve and an NVG 5600.
Attachments
24 VALVE CUMMINS POWERED ROADSTER PICKUP.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Return to Introduce Yourself