Just looking for now

Stop in, say hi, and let us know a little bit about yourself and your project!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:20 am

Just looking for now

Have been wanting a older truck for a while and really just trying to decide what would fit me. I like the older rounded look the character these tricks have especially the step side flared fenders. What I’m going to try and figure out is if there is one with the look I’m after that is or can be a practical useful truck. Not to haul manure or rocks but to drive maybe even tow now and then or pick up lumber at the local store. Also someday fix up and use to just cruise in style! So don’t pay any mind to me for now just going to be snooping around seeing what can be made of these older trucks

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:16 am

Re: Just looking for now

I found my truck in Vintage Truck magizine , for a while just reading the magizine was enough to satisfy my interest but then I found an international for 1500 bucks that turned into a really great experience ' the people involved with old trucks are as interesting as their trucks . The history , the way they are built , the engineering , I guess its the nostalgia , really appeal to me . Happy trails my friend .

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:02 pm

Bhaeck, welcome to the site! There's lots of information and help here.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:21 pm

Ya in my head I pretty well know what I want and it’s probably 50’s to mid and even late 60s have seen some 1/2-1tons and all would work :) I’m not that picky. Really rather spend money on a older truck than 50-70 grand for new one especially since I don’t need it that regularly so hate to buy new and park it 5 out of 7 days of the week. I have seen some internationals with double cab and seems like it’s later models than the ford and Chevy ones anyone know how hard and what years the 4door or even extended cab came to be

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:37 pm

International was the first truck company to produce a factory production 'crew cab', which they called the Travelette. It was first produced for the 1957 model year. Earlier examples of International and other brands were built by aftermarket coach works or body companies. To my knowledge, IH never built a factory extended cab truck.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:17 pm

Just keep in mind that the big Six (6 on 7 1/4) Bolt spacing on wheels is impossible to find drums and Wheels.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:03 pm

How was highway use? I had a old cj5 that would of required nearly complete replacement of most everything to get highway speeds and not fly off the road. I have seen some nice 1/2-1ton internationals with and with out the 4 door heck saw a really nice one with a dump bed but to use on a long trip would the 57-60ish models drive ok at 70 stock?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:23 pm

dean466 wrote:International was the first truck company to produce a factory production 'crew cab', which they called the Travelette. It was first produced for the 1957 model year. Earlier examples of International and other brands were built by aftermarket coach works or body companies. To my knowledge, IH never built a factory extended cab truck.

Dean

Dean is correct. IHC of Old was not the only company to use Orrville Specialty Metal works to make special cabs. I have one of the OSM cabs and this cab and chassis are pictured on their website.
I doubt that any of the old IHC trucks would be compatible with highway speed and driver manners of 2018.
I repowered an R120 with a big V8 Diesel and overdrive, all mounted on modern DANA 60 axles. Be prepared to spend some serious cash. There will be some significant design changes and fabrication.
I kept the R120 under $50k in 1991. My latest project, resto-rod has topped $125,000. My friend operates a custom hot-rod shop and he says a build like mine would not be under $200,000 out the door at his shop. They are very busy and booked up for two years.
Do not let the often near scrap value price of a "barn-find" old IHC pickup give you the impression that the parts, if you can find any, will be comparably inexpensive. I bid a $1000 for an NOS "R" grill and lost to higher bids. If you live in Canada, I might sell a door to you for $400 or a fender for about the same money. I do not ship to USA because of the expensive import dealer permit I was told I must have.
I was offered $20,000 for the R crewcab with doors, grill, hood and fenders. And so it goes.
Attachments
R130 ORRVILLE CREWCAB.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:46 pm

Ok what I feared though 55 mph would be livable would still allow me to use it around town just would make my dreams of picking up tractors or such I find long distances painful. Definitely more wanting something in the 3-5k running but ugly range or 10-20k ready to go area but good news is I have lots of time and don’t ever care to have a hot road but man one with a newer diesel in it would be really nice

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:23 pm

If your metal is good, think of a possible sheet metal swap to a newer chassis.
Next

Return to Introduce Yourself