My new 1950 IHC

Stop in, say hi, and let us know a little bit about yourself and your project!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:43 pm

My new 1950 IHC

Hello all & Merry Christmas, Just got a 1950(according to the chassis Number) last weekend. Looking for a garage/barn. Already bought Echlin parts for the ignition and don't even know yet if it will turn over - anxious to begin :) Decided against the manual test of the crankshaft and am opting to pull the entire engine and tear the whole thing apart OUT of the truck. Driver's door is stuck and had some awesome shed snakeskins inside. As a bonus - Wife thinks it's ugly! Once complete I'll be pulling it with my Skoolie conversion(94 IH(navistar) 7.3 W/AT545) to get where I'm going and drive it. NOT planning on a huge engine upgrade with tubs ... I AM going to upgrade the brakes though. Adirondack Green and at one point someone put tan pinstriping around the chassis. Found some great info already: Restoring Cornelia, Coker Tires, The Steering Guy, The Carburetor Shop, and of course, Oldihc.org!
Attachments
GuitarRoadTripBus.png
Already decorated. Used for road trips for more gear whenever GAS hits
1951International_L110.jpeg
Right after I paid for it and just before an idiot drove through the yard and ripped off the rear bumper

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:24 pm

Re: My new 1950 IHC

Before you start pouring hours and money into that well rotted truck, it would be advisable to make a written plan with a few cost estimates. Plan on spending $20,000 for an average job, if you can do the work. Triple that amount for an average job if you send it out. A 100,000 dollars is not out of the ball-park in 2017, for a good job.
In 1990 I started with a rust free R120. I did all of the work and I have all of the tools and training. the body repairs and paint and upholstery was $16,000 . Another $10,000 went into the driveline.
Because the truck is a 1950, it will be more difficult to find some of the parts because the hidden door hinge body was only one year.
That grill is in really rough condition. Repairs will be labour intensive and very expensive. A good grill could sell for as much as $1000. I was bidding on a grill on eBay and I stopped when the price went over a grand.
Do not force the door open, you could bend or break the hinge and you may not be able to find another.
Do you have the missing running board? How is the box for rot? A good front bumper is well over $250.
Don't rip the engine apart before finding out if it will run. Rebuilding one of these old IHC 22SD is about twice as expensive as rebuilding a small block Chevy or Ford.
Think seriously about walking away, or, if that is too late, part it out.
This is the bottom line truth that you need to know.
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:05 pm

This truck is not as bad as some of the trucks I see on here and they have end up pretty nice when all done.
Body parts are not all that hard to find you just have to know where to look. There's a good place here in Arizona that specializes in Pre-60's cars and trucks, they have about a dozen 50's IH pickups and most of the body's are in good shape. I saw most of their inventory a couple weeks ago, they are called Desert Valley Auto Parts and I believe they ship. http://www.dvap.com

My truck wasn't all good when I first drove it off the trailer either. I think as I am right now I have around $3000-$4000 into my truck and I have brake lines, driveshaft, exhaust, wiring and paint left.

Good luck on your project!
1956 S-102 Short Bed BD240

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:36 am

Thanks for the advice. With everything I collect I take it in stride that I'll be putting in hard cash. I'm not interested in making a show vehicle - just something that won't break down or run into someone else in order to stop :) I have looked at resto estimations and am prepared for the time/effort. I used to build regal t's but got tired and let those go in 2010, 83 T with t-top and 85 T limited with leather. Both turbo 3.8's. Got rid of my 76 skylark and 2 455's to my towing service along with a new crank for a GN. Well, I'm not tired of it anymore and i'm getting out my wrenches. More advice the better because nobody knows everything

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:20 pm

I have two friends, each own a Buick GNX. Those are seriously fast 30 year old cars. A GNX 3.8 would likely make a good engine swap for an old IHC. I just bought a machinist toolbox from another GNX owner.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Return to Introduce Yourself