New member testing the waters.

Stop in, say hi, and let us know a little bit about yourself and your project!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:30 pm

New member testing the waters.

Hey everyone!

Thanks for the add! I heard this was the place to go for an IH addiction. I've been around farmall and IH equipment my entire life growing up on a farm. I just recently picked up a 1951 L162 and am slowly picking away at the things I want to do to it but I have a long way to go.

I do have a question for all of the experts on here. Im looking to get rid of the split rims and bias ply tires on the truck. The problem I'm having is trying to find another rim with the same bolt pattern. I would like to keep the truck a dually and run a more modern rim so the tires are more easily accessible and easier to find. As far as I can tell on this truck I have a 5x7-3/4 or 5x7-7/8 bolt pattern. It's not one that I have ever seen or heard of before and I was hoping for a little more insight on the matter. I appreciate any info and suggestions you all know might have for me.

Thanks!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:41 pm

Re: New member testing the waters.

You don't have "split rims" you have lock-ring wheels. There were some 17.5 rims made (tubeless) but they are rare. If your rims aren't bad, best to clean them up, paint them then fit new tires (radial or Bias your choice). There were a few trucks useing the lug pattern but they are all the same age as yours, so doubtful you'll find new rims.
I run lock ring wheels with 10Rx20 rubber on my semi, never had a problem.
Last edited by cornbinder89 on Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:58 pm

The rim everybody is afraid of, and often confuse all lockrings with is the Firestone RH 5deg (semi-drop center) wheel. It was never made in size below 20" that I am aware of and never OEM on any International. It is split down the center like a bagel and has a small center trough, like a tubeless rim but not as deep or wide. It is the only multi-piece wheel I will not willingly service.
The Goodyear rim found on K series with spoke wheels, is split across the valve stem hole and is sometimes referred to as a "split rim" as a opposed to a split ring.
Lock ring wheels are safe and still made today, all large heavy equipment use some form of lock ring wheel.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:14 pm

Re-reading your post, WHat kind of wheel do you have? I thought the wheels were 6 lug, do you have spoke wheels with 5 spokes and 5 bolts holding the drum to the hub? Spoke rims use wedges and nuts way out against the rim, not toward the center like a car or truck with disk wheels. Or do you have the Budd style 5 lug (with the inner and outer nut on the rear duals?) (1 1/2" outer nut, 13/16 square inner nut) But these have a 8 3/4" bolt circle with a 6.5" bore.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:48 pm

They aren't a Dayton style with the wedges holding them on. More of a budd style with a locking ring. I'll upload a picture once I figure out how shrink the file size down. I'm not afraid that I'll have a problem with these rims, I'm just trying to figure out what Bolt pattern they are for sure and to see if I have any other options for smaller diameter wheels, say off if a pickup, so I can mount an LT tire on them instead of what's on there. I'm trying to make it easier and cheaper to replace the tires and also get the truck sitting a little lower than it is.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:03 pm

A big problem with these medium trucks is they are already geared low, if you down size the tires you'll have a 30 mph truck.
What is the tire size on there now?
Yes, spokes use wedges, but we have had it before where someone thought the nuts holding the drum to the hub were the "lug nuts".
Lighter medium trucks used 5 lug "Budd" disk wheels slightly heavier used 6 lug and then you jump to 10 lug common on trucks today.
All the Budd type wheels were 20" but the fewer lug wheels were narrow and limited in what can replace them and have enough clearance.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:59 pm

I'm planning on doing an engine and trans swap at some point so the gearing will be a little better and I'll deal with the rear end when the time comes. The tires on there now are 8.25-20. The rims on there would be more of a budd disc 5 Bolt, 20 inch.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:14 pm

Ok, it is coming into focus. The real problem is going to be how wide a tire you can fit on those rims. I think you need to sit down and access what your plans or needs are for this truck. If you want to turn it into a light pick-up style truck, you might be better off doing a frame swap and put the sheetmetal on something that has the power and gearing you'll need.
The model truck you have is a medium truck and was designed for a top speed in the 45-50 mph with lower top speed under load. Everything is spec'd for that end, so if you want to change that, you need to change almost the complete drivetrain.
You can't mount smaller rims and tires on those hubs, you are stuck with 20" rubber. It isn't a matter of changing the hubs but the whole axle and suspension.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:41 pm

Ok figured out how to compress pictures on my phone finally. So hopefully this come through like it should.
Attachments
20171121_221800.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:37 am

Looks like a bud , bud . On the old site ,there was a post that talked about using the wheels that came off older UPS trucks , looked simalar but the tire was just a bit smaller . Also look at older school bus wheels , that's where I'd start .
Next

Return to Introduce Yourself