New member testing the waters.

Stop in, say hi, and let us know a little bit about yourself and your project!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:29 am

Re: New member testing the waters.

I may be wrong, but thought the old UPS and Dodge motor home used the 6 lug version.
My point about the gear is that no matter what engine and trans you put ahead of the that rear it will be turning in the mid to upper 3000's to go 55 MPH. That truck may already have an O/d trans or it may be direct, but it will be geared LOW. If not going to carry a load, you'd be better off doing the rear swap when you do the powertrain swap, they all have to work together to make a useful truck.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:34 pm

Here's a two-ton IHC D-35 cab put on 1995 Toyota Tacoma. Light duty and heavy duty cabs are the same size, it's the other dimensions that vary.
For instance, hoods may get longer on bigger trucks as engine size increased.
Front fender size changes with bigger tires but it's usually more the inner fender than the outer fender dimensions that change.
Radiator supports change.
Driveability increases significantly. I can drive my "beer truck" anywhere.
A Tacoma swap may be smaller than you want to go, but it shows how small and low is possible with a "big truck" cab.
BTW, the D-35 cab fit the Tacoma frame like a glove.
Attachments
image.jpg

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:10 pm

Ok thanks for your help. I'll look into the ups trucks and school buses. I've never ran into this Bolt pattern before so I wasn't sure if it was an IH specific or if there was anywhere else I could find something different that would fit.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:15 pm

I'm sorry I didn't see your last post until after I responded. I'm going to do some research to see if there's any chance in maybe finding a different ring for the rear end. If not, then I'll start measuring to see what dually axle will fit fairly decent. I'd prefer to keep it on the original frame just because I want to keep as much IH components as possible but that may prove to be impossible with what I want in the end. I figured I would start here to see what the experts had to say

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:38 pm

Just checked out the FIVE BOLT pattern , ? Sorry I didn't see that before I posted . Yes the bolt pattern I was thinking of was 6 .

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:14 pm

About once a month or so we get someone here that wants to put "manageable" wheels and tires on a bigger IHC truck. We're all for innovation, but an axle/ frame swap is usually what should happen.
I love originality. However, originality and driveability are at extreme odds.
We're rooting for you, though. I hope you can make a needed breakthrough.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:01 pm

Yea idk what the deal is with this bolt pattern. I don't think it's the 5X7.5. It definitely looks bigger than that to me, like I said before, more like 7-3/4 or bigger circle. Maybe someone else will chime on and know the exact Bolt pattern
Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself