Hello from Ontario!

Stop in, say hi, and let us know a little bit about yourself and your project!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:25 pm

Hello from Ontario!

Just purchased a '50 L110 with my wife. We are looking forward to wait awaits us in this project.
Is it only after you purchase one that the reality of the cost of replacement parts sinks in? Haha, nonetheless it's great to have found such a knowledgeable community of IH enthusiasts.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:40 pm

Re: Hello from Ontario!

He posted: Just purchased a '50 L110 with my wife.
I had to buy my IHC trucks separate. The wife came earlier. LOL
Welcome to the madness. Ontario EH?
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:43 pm

Welcome, you will find both those who like the 1950 hidden hinge L trucks and those who do not. It is a different design, and had it's issues. Yes, you can refit the truck to the hinge style if you really wanted to, but it is what helped draw you to it, the smooth look. Other than that issue, most parts will fit it from 1950-1956 with some exceptions. Post up on the forum page for L, R, S trucks and begin the challenge. Lots of different routes to follow depending on what you want to have in the end.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:11 pm

I do admit I have a lot to learn but look forward to it all. My L110 does not have the hidden hinges. They work pretty well at the moment so for now, that style will be staying.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:30 pm

The visible hinges are by far the best for several important reasons. The visible hinges are more common and therefore easier to find and or repair. IHC dropped the early hidden hinge system because of a very high failure. The hidden hinges were not strong enough for the often rough service these trucks were going to endure. The hidden hinge, 1950 trucks had other designs that were dropped by IHC in the later "L" series. One of the other visible differences is the location of the rear cab cross mounting bar. In the first generation of the Comfo-cab the cross bar cab support was inside the cab. The spot-welds would fail under the load of the cab, in rougher service.
Because the hidden hinge cabs were only built for a half model year, they are more difficult to find. This is one of those situations where "rare" is not a good thing. It has been 67 years since the last hidden hinge cab stumbled out of the factory.
Keeping your truck all original may keep your truck off the road for much longer while the search goes on for parts that may not exist.
This forum is filled with persons installing non IHC engines and drive-trains in their Old IHC. If you are planning on driving on the 401, you will need to make some big changes. 70 kmh will get you a ticket.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:35 pm

Thank you for all the great info. It has the original 220 and starts and runs as nice as my new truck. Hope mg to keep it as original as possible but the main purpose is for use to enjoy quiet Sunday drives.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:06 pm

Sunday drives in cottage country is what these old IHC do best. The rustic sounds and last century feel is the charm.
I like re-powering with Cummins "B" series Diesels. I want to visit Ontario, in the fall, one of these years. My youngest brother lives in TO.

Return to Introduce Yourself