Howdy! 1948 KB5

Stop in, say hi, and let us know a little bit about yourself and your project!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:58 pm

Howdy! 1948 KB5

Hi all. New member here and live outside the Charlotte, NC area. Originally born & raised in Connecticut. Not new to old cars. I'm 58 years young and been working on cars since I began driving at age 16. I am a Pontiac guy with my first car at 16 being a 1956 Pontiac 4-Dr Ht that I learned to do mechanical work and body repair on. Self taught in mechanics, but went to an auto body school after high school - tried college, but dropped out quickly as more schooling was not for me.

Owned several GTO's (1965 Convert, 1967 Convert, 1968 Ht, 1970 Judge) and other Pontiacs in the early '80's, and got into a lot of trouble with a built dual quad 409CI Chevy engine and 4-speed that I dropped into a '65 Impala SS convertible. Have owned a number of cars from the 50's and 60's and they were all cheap to buy back then. Life did not go according to my plan, but followed a plan of its own. Working on cars became a hobby rather than something I wanted to do for a living. I own several "project" cars. My cruising car is a 1973 Plymouth Gran-Fury 2Dr-Ht while my present project car is my 1968 Lemans 2 Dr-Ht frame up resto-mod with 455CI, 5-speed, and Ford 9" rearend. I have a 1955 Packard Constellation and 1939 Packard hearse body/rolling chassis which I have owned for 28 years. Run down, but still solid, they may be my hotrod retirement projects - maybe.

The KB5 box truck belongs to my brother. He has a business and wants it for advertising. Plans on putting a business wrap on the box and use it to sell his business offerings. It has 42,000 miles on it, engine runs OK, and is in good shape for its age. Many new parts installed by previous owners, but still needs a lot of TLC. Trying to keep it original and dependable. Rebuilt the Zenith carb and installed new steel gas lines. Working on a 6volt to 12 volt negative ground conversion and going with the Pertronix electronic ignition. I'll be taking on other issues as I sort through the truck.

I will be posting new questions as I go and will share what I do on the truck as it might help out another member.
Attachments
03 1948 International.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:11 pm

Re: Howdy! 1948 KB5

Very interesting! Welcome! More pics when you get time.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:51 pm

Will you be installing an electric fuel pump? :whistling2:
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:03 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:Will you be installing an electric fuel pump? :whistling2:

Nope, no electric fuel pump as I see no need for it.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:07 am

A few pics of my brother's 1948 International KB-5 with its York-Hoover Corporation body. Built 5-13-48. The truck was originally purchased by the Railroad Express Agency. As I recall it has 44,000 miles on it. My brother owns a railroad switching yard and tourist railroad operation and wanted this truck for advertising. He had the truck delivered to my house to do the necessary repair work. He may also have it painted in his company colors, but we were also talking about keeping a weathered patina look to it. The original green paint is underneath the primered truck and we are thinking about just sanding through the primer to expose some of the original green paint and putting a clear over that to seal everything. The box body will get an advertising wrap, so it can be left as it - just thinking at this point. My brother, like myself, are old car hobbyists - he has a 1957 Caddy he drives and shows and our Dad's 1973 Plymouth Satellite which I upgraded/rebuilt the entire drivetrain (360 CI/Six Pack) while my brother went the Roadrunner clone route on the body.
Attachments
05 Eric's 1973 Plymouth.jpg
06 Eric's 1957 Caddy.jpg
dscn7254.jpg
dscn7251.jpg
dscn7249.jpg

Return to Introduce Yourself