HELLO FROM NW INDIANA

Stop in, say hi, and let us know a little bit about yourself and your project!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:30 am

HELLO FROM NW INDIANA

new guy here from NW Indiana/Chicago area building a 49 kb2. truck still had Texas title when I got it 2 years ago, really solid truck no rust ,had a stake bed on it but somebody butchered a Oldsmobile v8 and trans in it, no brakes, wiring job from hell, you get the picture. I got really frustrated trying to make it all work and was just ready to let it go when I met this guy who rebuilds old cars and talked me out of selling it. I wanted something I could drive anywhere, so here I am now starting from scratch with a s10 frame, Chevy 350 motor, a 49 kb . I have some parts I wont need like the whole frame-short wheel base- with suspension and brakes with original wheels, nice bench seat, etc. I'll have to get pics of that stuff and post them. tried to load truck pics, hope it worked
Attachments
llllllllllllllllljfffffffffffffffffs4rwte4str.jpg
20170618_172237.jgtftftdyrtdyrd.jpg
jhyjyyiyftttttdres3qarwsyrt.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:37 am

Re: HELLO FROM NW INDIANA

Perseverance pays off!
That wasn't an old "Rocket" Olds V-8, was it? Somebody might want it!
A local contractor here took his fleet of K Series IHC and put in Olds V-8s. It was something to see when you popped the hood!
Welcome to IHC Land!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:01 pm

I was told it was a 350 rocket but turned out to be a 307, didn't check the numbers till I got it home. looks can be decieving
Attachments
1951.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:19 pm

You gotta admit that Rocket Olds looks impressive!

BTW I'm one of this site's chassis swap guys. If you can show what you did to get the cab and radiator support on that S-10 frame that would be great.
I usually use the donor truck's cab mounts to mount the IHC cab. I usually have to section the radiator support and build a "diving board" bracket to mount it.
How did you make sure the front wheels were centered in the front fenders?
Thanks.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:54 pm

haven't got that far yet, had to make new motor mounts for the 350 because motor was to far forward with the offset s10 mounts. cab is sitting on wood blocks until I line everything up & make sure front wheel is centered in fender then I can figure out cab mounts. the front IH cab mounts sit on top of s10 frame, rear IH mounts will be really close to rear s10 cab mounts. I plan on building a bed so not worried about the rear axle lining up. steering box in the way of radiator support so that's going to be fun.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:36 am

Always found the Olds V-8's to be the best of the GM's with the exception of the rocker-arm problem. Stay on top of the rocker arms and they would run for a long time.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:06 am

Wolfeman, I've found just what you said--most modern pickups have the engine waay too far up front to fit old sheetmetal. I usually end up cutting motor mount brackets off and sliding the whole works back. Sometimes as much as ten inches! Makes your new "concoction" steer with one finger, almost. Just gives the truck a lighter feel.
Of course then you have to cut the driveline to fit. I've gotten good at that. I do it, myself. The exhaust system I just section and reweld.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:17 am

After fighting to try to get the front tires located reasonably, the next hardest thing to do is jammimg steering column, brake booster and m/c, clutch m/c and pedal hanger into a very tight spot. You lose about a fourth of your "dash/ firewall" when you swap from modern to old sheetmetal. Just the way it is.
This is what takes me the longest. Everything has to fit and be easily reachable. Old pickup cabs tend to be narrower and taller and newer pickup cabs tend to be wider and lower. Especially at the firewall/cowl area.
However, my experience is that the firewall/ toeboard/ cab floor angles are about the same old to new.
My most recent "concoction" is a 1939 IHC D series truck cab and flatbed on 1995 Toyota Tacoma. It runs great! I

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:53 pm

cornbinder89 wrote:Always found the Olds V-8's to be the best of the GM's with the exception of the rocker-arm problem. Stay on top of the rocker arms and they would run for a long time.
sold the olds v8 it was tired and smoked more than I do. got a good deal on s10 with chevy 350 and trans so that's what I'm going with, have 4 other daily drivers to maintain (gotta keep them paychecks coming in) so the IH is always last in the list.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:56 pm

starting a build thread kb section

Return to Introduce Yourself