Reviving my 50 L110

Stop in, say hi, and let us know a little bit about yourself and your project!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:08 pm

Reviving my 50 L110

Hello all fellow Cornbinder enthusiasts. Was on this forum years ago but never spent much time on it as I was unclear when my L110 project would get the love it so desperately deserved. Old blue hasn't turned over in 15 years but in July decided to gice the truck some attention. Had to fix many electrical demons along the way but I am happy to say...ITS ALIVE...again!!!!

The old SD220 fired up and purred....after it puked 1/2 a pound of grain, dirt and mouse poop out the tail pipe...just gross.
I could use some help though with a photo or exploded diagram of the horn button parts under the center cap in the steering wheel. Seems to be missing a spring and pin And I think once I know what to look for it should be easy to find a compatable alternative. PM me here if you can help with a pic or 2...better yet if you have the small horn bits for sale!.

:whistling2: :whistling2:
Last edited by Wade S on Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:11 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:33 am

Re: Reviving my 50 L110

ere is a link to a parts manual for the L series, you can find what your looking for there.
https://nwaringa.wordpress.com/2009/09/18/mt-63-manual/

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:58 am

Kevin, when is the last time you tried to use https://nwaringa.wordpress.com/2009/09/18/mt-63-manual/ It does not work.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:24 pm

I have two different parts books for the early 1950s trucks. IHC did not put the horn wiring in the electrical )section 8) but instead in section (3) for steering. So, here are a few pictures. It should be noted that there are three different horn-button designs and none of them exchange with others. I could not find the third style. It is lost in one of the many drawers of IHC junk.
I am including a picture of the IHC horn button to the relay wiring diagram. The relay is in the electric section 8, I am also including several pictures of the horn button. It is nearly impossible to remove a horn button without damaging the button. DO NOT PRY UP ON THE BUTTON.
I have included a custom machined button retainer and electric grounding connector for the steering wheel in my 1940 Ford. This can be adapted to an OLD IHC.
Attachments
HORN WIRING OEM.jpg
WIRING DIAGRAM
HORN BUTTON MY FORD LECARRA WHEEL.jpg
CUSTOM MACHINED BUTTON RETAINER AND ELECTRIC CONNECTOR FOR A LECARRA WHEEL SYSTEM.
HORN BUTTON 2.jpg
IHC
HORN BUTTON 1.jpg
IHC 2

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:31 pm

:moon1: :moon1: :t1809:
nikkinutshop wrote:Kevin, when is the last time you tried to use https://nwaringa.wordpress.com/2009/09/18/mt-63-manual/ It does not work.

Negative Nikki I presume, this 7:33 AM, look at the time on the right of my post. I was able to open it.
Don't need to look at the "L" Series Manual, I have a "S". You want to buy it. Hint/ Hint?
Trying to help this guy out.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:46 pm

I just tried to open your link and it still does not open. All it shows is two cartoon characters looking around the bushes.
The time on the right is not much of an indication of real time.
Would your IHC manual for an S be the same as 1950?.
No, I don't want to buy your manual and I don't want it for free. I have no use for it.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:33 pm

I meant the truck not the manual which I do not own.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:06 pm

Your IHC is one of the best I have ever seen. If it is for sale and someone buys your pampered "S" they will be getting one of the very very best examples.
Is your "S" still turbo-charged?
I am just about to drive the Ford out of the shop then get back onto our L110 Shorty 4X4, Cummins. IHC and old engines are my first interest. I really got off the "trail" with this Ford Albatross.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:02 pm

The exploded pic of the horn button assembly is exactly what I needed (mine is a twist on type cover). The wiring pigtail is missing from my truck so now I know what is required. Thanks.

The manual link is on an expired Dropbox page that I don't have access to so can't open the files.
Last edited by Wade S on Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:19 pm

I have checked out the Narwinga site, and it is only the superficial listings, the sub pages seem to not be available. I will attempt to contact Nick, however it has been years. If anyone does have contact, please see if you can find out what is up.
I am sure, as with many things, Life and the "wonderful" internet gets in the way.

Return to Introduce Yourself