Old Farmall Owner, New Truck Guy

Stop in, say hi, and let us know a little bit about yourself and your project!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:32 pm

Old Farmall Owner, New Truck Guy

Hello! I've been a Farmall owner for some time now (Model H, '46) but am new to the International truck scene. To be honest, it never really occurred to me that International-brand trucks were from the same company that made Farmalls, as ridiculous as it sounds. I sort of always thought that International was just another brand like Peterbuilt or Kenworth. Never too old to learn I guess.

My big question is about parts and restoration of the larger L-series units. I saw a 190 that was a little rough, but it runs and, well, now here I am... I've gathered from what I've seen so far that KB and (little) L-series mechanical stuff is generally available. But when engaging in a more in-depth refurb or restoration (not necessarily show-quality, mind) of one of the larger trucks in the series (I like the KB-7 and L-190 and larger) what is one looking at? I know as an old Ford restorer (F-1 and F-2 models) that most everything for those vehicles is available. But getting into a larger heavy-haul unit has me worried about parts availability, especially in the engine and drive-train realm. Things like axles, gears, seals, half-shafts, brakes, and so forth. I'd hate to get myself into a bind with a restoration before doing my homework, which is why I'm here. The thought of driving and using a late 40's/early 50's heavy truck is very intriguing, but the thought of a back-breaking restoration :t3724: and maintenance process has me wondering. Should I assume that many restorers of these trucks usually have a non-running truck of the same model that they rob for parts or is that just overkill?? Thanks for reading my post and I look forward to discussing KB's and L's with everybody!

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:56 pm

Re: Old Farmall Owner, New Truck Guy

Just keep looking and reading. One thing that is almost totally unobtainium is the 6 bolt brake drums. have found a place that can sleeve them, but not cheap. Good luck and have fun. Other truck(s) for parts in not a bad Idea, no real sheet metal for these. My views, others will have better/different views.

Return to Introduce Yourself