Former L-120 owner returning

Stop in, say hi, and let us know a little bit about yourself and your project!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:43 am

Former L-120 owner returning

Greetings all! I grew up in Indiana and my first vehicle was the old L-120 that sat behind the barn. When I turned 16 Dad said if you can get it running it's yours. I scrounged parts from old vehicles at neighbors farms and within a few months had a running truck. What a great truck too. I got a job a the local feed mill on the night shift. After work, I'l load up 2T of bagged feed and sloooowly drive home. It would get to 60 but it took a while. Used to piss the neighbors off when I'd come in late at night, kill the ignition rolling down the hill and then light it off. The big boom and then blue flames shooting out from under the truck was a hoot Putting the muffler back on after blowing it off not so much fun. Finally got tired of (a) the ass chewing by my Dad and (b) reattaching the muffler and quit doing that.

Anyway, here I am 48 years later about to retire and really wanting another old IH. I'm about to build a retirement home with a nice pole barn and hope to be buying a old 1 1/2T to refurbish. I am a hobby furniture maker and need something for hauling lumber back from farm auctions--at least that's what I tell my bride.

I've enjoyed reading the posts and remembering the good times in my old L-120.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:24 am

Re: Former L-120 owner returning

If you can remember what vehicles you scrounged parts from, many members of this forum might be interested. Old IHC parts are not easy to find. 60 mph, that is amazing.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:12 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:If you can remember what vehicles you scrounged parts from, many members of this forum might be interested. Old IHC parts are not easy to find. 60 mph, that is amazing.

I've had far too many beers since then to remember where I got parts - sorry

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:26 pm

Welcome to the site and thanks for sharing the story!

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Return to Introduce Yourself