Greetings from E. Tennessee

Stop in, say hi, and let us know a little bit about yourself and your project!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:13 pm

Greetings from E. Tennessee

I recently acquired a new project- a 1966 C1000 Short bed, with a V-8 (unsure which one at this point) & 4 speed manual transmission.

I traded it for a '66 Ford F100 that I had been working on.

Overall, she's in pretty good shape- There is a little surface rust, and a few spots here and there that have a bit of rust, but a pretty solid truck. It was involved in an accident a few years back- The previous owner (who had bought the truck new) hit a tree in his front yard one night after partying a bit too much. He got out of the truck, and left it there under the tree for a few years.

For now, I plan to do a light restoration, mostly to stabilize the areas that have some rust. The worn, "patinaed" look just seems to fit this truck. Down the line, as time and money allows, I might do a more complete restoration.

I've still got to get it to my shop- But one of the first 'chores' will be getting the engine going-

It hasn't run in a few years, but turns over. The cylinders have been oiled and are sitting that way now. All I know is it's a V-8, I don't know which one- What is the best way to tell?

I'm sure I am going to have a LOT of questions going forward... I have done a lot of reading online, but it seems that the resources available are somewhat limited, at least as compared to a truck like my Ford. I am really looking forward to getting this 'Binder back on the road!
Attachments
sm66International2.jpg
sm66International3.jpg
sm66International.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:49 pm

Re: Greetings from E. Tennessee

The engine model and serial number are on the passenger side, on a machined pad below the #2 exhaust port and behind the fuel pump. The most common place for rust on these models is in the cowl area (look up under the dash) and down the sides where the door hinges mount.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Return to Introduce Yourself