Stop in, say hi, and let us know a little bit about yourself and your project!

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:06 pm

Hey everyone! I'm new to OldIHC, and new to owning my first International, hurray! A few months ago I purchased a 1950 L130, non-dully, with PTO powered hydraulic dump. The truck is in good shape, no rust, almost all original and all working....I think. I'm not planning a full restoration but do want to fix some things; leaks from everywhere, weather stripping, and carb work. I have done some research on the L130 and have found no info regarding the PTO and dump option. The only reason I think it was a factory option and not a farmers creations is because I found a person on youtube with the exact same setup. I need to rebuild the pistons and hydraulic pump/reservoir as they leak very badly. Anyone have knowledge on this?

The other piece I'm wondering about is the shifting. I'm getting use to double clutching but something things just don't seem right about my tranny. Somethings I can get the shift perfectly with no grinding and other times I can't get it at all, in fact I have to come to stop and start over. Now this may just be me learning, at the cost of my old tranny. What makes me think it is more is the fact that when I come to a full stop I can't shift into second without a little grinding. I have to feather the shift and sometime get a very slight roll going. Why would anything still be spinning at dead stop? could it be something with the clutch, or linkage?

I'm looking forward to reading all the great info in this forum getting to know a few of you.

Thank you.
Attachments
1950 L130 (2).jpg
L130.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:48 pm

Re: New Member

Welcome to the site! I like your L130. Regarding shifting, I would check your clutch adjustment. With the engine running and the truck not moving, depressing the clutch pedal fully and waiting a bit for the mainshaft to stop turning, it should go into second gear with minimal grinding. But if the clutch is not releasing all the way....

Here is a link to the service manual section- http://www.hansenwebdesign.com/truck/fi ... Clutch.pdf

Dean
Last edited by dean466 on Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:35 pm

It is very unlikely that this truck came from the factory with a hydraulic dump feature. Back in those days there were as many companies offering hydraulic dump systems an owner or the dealer could install. I knew of several truck specialty shops that did dump conversions. Seals, hoses and couplings should be readily available. Do yourself a big favour and block the dump box when it is in the up position so as to prevent it from falling on the person doing the service.
Back in the 1950s one of the neighbours was killed when the hydraulic system failed while the box was up. the neighbour tried to "jump" the clutch to loosen the stuck load of dirt. When that failed, he got under the box to bang on the bottom. Possibly a hose broke and the semi loaded box crashed down on him, killing him instantly and bending the frame of the truck. That was 1954.
As Dean said, it your clutch hanging up. If you did not check inside the clutch lower cover, it could be filled with mouse nesting and this could get stuck and possibly help to drag the clutch a little.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:57 pm

Thanks for the info guys. Yes, I am familiar with the hazards of working under a dump body and will certainly take the necessary precautions. I'm thinking about take the entire bed off to overhaul the hydraulic system. Thanks for the info Dean. I skimmed through the link you sent me and I have some questions about the clutch adjustment, but I will move the discussion to the proper thread.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:47 am

Good looking truck. Are you planning on painting it or just shining it up a bit? Either way keep us posted. And have fun.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:54 pm

ltc050807, I plan to run it as is for right now. I want to repair all the fluid leaks and get it water tight again with new weather stripping, and that's about it.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:52 am

A gummed up or bad pilot bearing is another possibility for hard shifting while at a stand still. The transmission input shaft will try to rotate with the crankshaft with the clutch depressed. If the truck has been sitting for quite a while this could improve with some use.
Dennis

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:30 pm

Thanks Dennis. I have plans to drop the tranny and put in new seals in it as suggested by another member. It's also something I need to do as the tranny leaks pretty bad. I don't think the pilot bearing was on my list but I may as well add while the tranny is out. Do you by chance have a part number? You can also respond to the thread in the L, R and S section under transmission.

Thanks

Return to Introduce Yourself