stopped by to say howdy

Stop in, say hi, and let us know a little bit about yourself and your project!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:43 am

stopped by to say howdy

I live in Eastern Washington, love trucks of all sorts, currently I own a 1949 dodge pilot house truck, has been sitting since 1978 and putting it back on the road as a daily driver.
I also am in the process of helping my 81 year old uncle that has collected cars and trucks all his life, clean it up so his kids do not inherit the job of cleaning up.
He has a pretty cool 1956 1ton dually with factory pickup box, seems pretty rare to find them. It has current license, rarely driven off the property though.
But I have been driving it as needed, good truck!
Also he has several sheds full of different parts, some of them are international and I may need help trying to figure out what year/model they go to, help to find them a new home and get them to where they would be used, not sent to a scrap yard.
Hoping this forum will be useful for this part of the process.

What I really need help with right now, I made a mistake and I drove a 1967 cornbinder. I just cant seem to get it out of my mind.
I love the way it sits low to the ground, just so easy to open the doors and slide in, not a huge truck, but not cramped inside either. Comfortable.
Jump seat with the fold down arm rest, 345 v8 with a automatic transmission, power steering, power brakes, air conditioning, dual tanks. dual exhaust.
Uncle Dale rebuilt this truck before he passed away 5 years ago, he did not drive it much. And my 81 year old uncle for the last 5 years, only drives it a couple times a year just to keep things operating. Figure roughly 2k miles on rebuilt motor, rebuilt rear end, trans service, new brakes, shocks, exhaust. tires & wheels.
Has a older repaint with no rust or body damage, paint flaking off a little in the nose. The truck is filthy from sitting, it needs tinkering, the fuel gauge does not work.
Hoping you guys can set me straight on how to fall out of love with this truck. My life was just fine with me and my dodge, before this truck was offered to me for sale.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:12 am

Re: stopped by to say howdy

I really like that dually , that is what a truck should look like , not the typical crew cab with a 6' bed that seems to be the norm . And the other picture of the dash ,,,? is that a turn signal below the steering wheel ?

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:23 am

Re: stopped by to say howdy

Hello.
The lever is for trailer brakes. The device is plumbed into the brake lines, when you apply the brakes you get electric current activated and sent back to your trailer wiring harness.
Basically when you step on the brakes, it activates the trailer brakes at the same time, with the added bonus of the lever sticking out, you can reach down and move the lever with your hand and activate the trailer brakes. Without using the brakes on the truck.
Say you have a heavy trailer and it starts to push you down a hill, you can manually use the trailer brakes to slow down.

Return to Introduce Yourself