Hi from michigan, 55 Binder

Stop in, say hi, and let us know a little bit about yourself and your project!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:40 pm

Re: Hi from michigan, 55 Binder

I just got off the phone. In one call I located two of these COE trucks and both are for sale. One is stored under a canopy and the other has had a full body restoration and about 75% of the work is done to convert this COE into pickup truck. The closest restorable COE is 90 minutes from here and the best one is a little over three hours away. I have to go to The Interior this week, so I might drive by and have a look for myself. If this second COE is nearly complete, looks good enough and the price is right, .................. you never know what might happen. I have an extra 24V Cummins/Ram 2500 driveline, here and it is looking for something to do.[/quote]

I apprentice the help but I'm really sticking my eyes on the one I found. Pickup conversion isn't me.. :p1016:
Plus not really a Cummins Fan, Detroit Diesel all the way... gonna stick a 4-53 into it if I can.
like I said gonna keep it stock, Driveline and all. Not a fan of modifying a Rare! vehicle.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:37 am

Here is the Thing Kyle, you are young and it will take time and money to do even a part of the "safety" issues. I understand what Nickki is saying, take a little time to look through his shorty build, and the Non IH build he is finishing up. I have seen both, and It does take time and Money. Now with that said, and Nickki knows where I come from, There are different levels and ways to do things, Nikki is ALL IN on the safety aspect, and is right about that, If something is Not done to safety standards, and something happens, you could be hanging out there without insurance back up, so look into that. Talk to several of the fellows here, Monsoon does body transplants on import frames/drive trains. Others have done extensive bodywork. If I remember right you are in a part of the country that as you say, rusts out all vehicles, and as I have witnessed on a Cougar forum, amazing things can be done to replace sheet metal, Just time consuming and not cheap if you have to have someone else do the work.
Good Luck on your project, it is a big one, and Please always make it safe to drive.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:55 pm

http://www.barringtondieselclub.co.za/d ... iesel.html
This is a must have page for persons interested in installing a Green Leaker.
Check out the RPM limits. These engines have been called a "screamer" because of the sound of the supercharger and the two stroke sound. My son's little Cummins 4bta makes more power and weighs about400 pounds less than a 4-53. I like the sound of the two-stroke-jokes. The company where I was a mechanic rebuilt lots of GM two stroke engines for the company fleet of 1320 +/- vehicles and boats. There were a very few 6-71 engines and most were 6V71 with a few 8V71. If I remember correctly, the company had more than a dozen 12V71na. The final Detroit curse was the Silver 92 turbo V6. The last series was the Detroit Series 50. Now everything is Cummins 8.3 litre "C" series. All of the 12V71 were replaced by the Cummins isx
The Cummins have been very reliable. The company has reduced the number of mechanics through attrition because the Cummins have been a success in reliability and longevity.
It is a rarity to hear a Detroit two stroke in this area. Concerns about the environment and fuel economy have sent the DD to the scrap. The local DD dealer does not carry any parts for the now obsolete two stroke 71 and 92.
I would still vote for someone else to build and use these two stroke green leakers because they sound good to me, but I don't want one of them keeping the dust down around here. Put an Allison behind your 4-53 add a turbo and................................ wait the music to start.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....
Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself