Almost a new owner!!

Stop in, say hi, and let us know a little bit about yourself and your project!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:46 pm

Almost a new owner!!

Hey everyone!
Im hoping to soon be the proud new mama of a '53 IH R120!! My husband is sick of hearing me talk about it constantly so he's given me the, "Fine! Just go get it, I dont want to hear about it anymore!" blessing. :lol:
Im hoping she runs. When she was parked last April she was a daily driver. Crossing my fingers that an oil change, new tires and a few other minor maintenance details will allow me to drive her as often as I can.
I look forward to picking some brains here, and will post pics as soon as I get her home!!

Lynn

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:04 pm

Re: Almost a new owner!!

Welcome to the Group, Yes we like Pictures, ask lots of Questions.

Lloyd

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:19 am

Welcome to the club Lynn! Many people here willing to help. When you get A chance tell usmore about your truck. Goose

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:23 pm

Well, super disappointed. We drove 2 long, miserable hours while towing what felt like a 15 ton car hauler over to pick up the truck....
Got her started after a little bit and she runs strong. (I almost started crying I was so happy :roll: ) However, the choke and throttle cables are disconnected.
So we went for a test drive, YIKES!! Around 40mph the front tires started wobbling so bad we were actually afraid we were going to wreck. We figured its probably the brakes since shes been sitting for 8 months. Not a huge deal, not a deal breaker.
So on to check the rest of the features: Wipers dont work, gauges dont work, battery is questionable, lights and heater work, she needs new door seals.
Heres the stats:
1953 R120 Dump Bed
153,000 miles
Black Diamond Engine installed in 2006 has 15,000 miles on it now
Engine and Tranny overhauled in 2006
Oil pump replaced in 2006
new brakes and battery 2006
Body is in pretty good condition; original paint, one dent in rear fender, small blemishes from rock chips.
The upholstery is original, and in great condition. The door panels are great. Headliner is missing.
I did find a few places where the body leaks into the cab.
The truck is on consignment at a small dealership. The owner wants $4500 firm. I would have her sitting in my driveway if I could get her for between $2000 and $3000. Im not looking for a project, want a truck I can drive daily if I want and do a few small fixes here and there.
So what do y'all think? I would buy her and deal with the problems. My logical husband says we shouldnt pay more than twice what the price guides are suggesting.
Thanks for the help!
Lynn

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:45 pm

Hi Lynn, and a big welcome! Gee, we need some pics, but for that price it ought to at least run real nice. I wouldn't want to soak too much into repairs after paying so much, but,...if the body is really quite good, it might be ok. One can find good driveable 'R's if one keeps looking. We'll give you some hints with that. Sounds to me like the previous owner has a bunch of money into it, and simply wants to break even. just a guess. if the motor and tranny are as good as advertised, that would be a plus for me. rebuilding already done is not a cheap thing!

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:54 pm

Just my opinion: If it is the brakes, shouldn't be an issue to fix, If it is front "tie rods/ball joints" items like that can get expensive, Use that as a point to work at getting the price down. If the Gauges do not work, why not, has it been "converted" to 12 volt? Burned up gauges? Those are points to also use to get the price down. Not all that cheap to replace(Tho some of us have gauges) NADA in my area says the truck is:Low Retail $5,075

It depends on what you want and what you are willing to do. Not sure how many rigs are in your area, but did you also look in our Swap are under complete vehicles for sale, these are member vehicles. Just a thought.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:53 pm

Thanks for the info, guys!
I forgot to add that it was converted to 12v, not sure if it was this owner, or the previous one. What Im looking for is a truck that is au naturale. Its got to be as close to stock as possible, prefer original paint/patina, and lovingly maintained. I really dont want a project, BUT am willing to do any and all maintenance myself. My husband really doesnt want a project, but will guide me and teach me how to do the things I dont know. Im definitely not afraid of getting my hands greasy and not afraid of making mistakes.
So, is it worth $4500?

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:11 pm

Not so sure "IF" it needs front end work and gauges. Have taken a look in the Swap area on the forum under complete vehicles. Also take a look at this site: http://www.classictruckcentral.com/truc ... name=Other

Some prices scare you to death, and others seem very reasonable, some travel or transportation arrangements might need to be made, but I saw a couple that looked promising.

Return to Introduce Yourself